A compensation settlement of £70,000 was awarded to the estate of a man who was diagnosed with mesothelioma in October 2009, and subsequently passed away in December 2009.
The deceased man was exposed to asbestos dust and fibres whilst working at Imperial Chemical Industries Limited (ICI Billingham) as a plater between 1957 and 1962, resulting in his development and subsequent death from the asbestos-related disease of mesothelioma.
During the course of his work at Imperial Chemical Industries Limited (ICI Billingham), the man was required to carry out maintenance repairs in the boiler room. In order to access the pipework inside the boilers, he would have to remove the asbestos insulation that lagged the boilers with a hammer.
After the pipework repairs had been carried out, the deceased would then cut more sheets of asbestos sheeting to size and refit them on to the boiler. Any gaps in the sheeting were filled in with whitish asbestos fibre wool. He would then sweep away any dusty debris from the floor.
The claim was successfully settled by Isobel Lovett, an Associate Solicitor at Irwin Mitchell Solicitors in Newcastle, in March 2010.
Our expert asbestos solicitors will provide you with free initial advice on your compensation claim if you or a loved one has suffered due to contracting mesothelioma. See our Mesothelioma Claims page for more information.
Back to Client Stories