Call us Free on 0800 056 4110
Personal Injury Claims

Road Traffic Accident Claims

If you or a loved one has been involved in a road traffic accident, our solicitors could help you get the compensation, rehabilitation and support you deserve. Each year we help thousands of people to claim following a road accident, and we could help you too.

How To Claim For A Road Traffic Accident

It's important to contact our road traffic accident solicitors as soon as possible. Insurance companies often try and settle claims directly, which can mean you get less compensation than you're entitled to. Call us and we'll give you a free initial consultation where we let you know if you're likely to have a successful claim, and how much compensation you might get.

No Win No Fee Road Traffic Accident Claims

Most of the road traffic accident claims our lawyers handle are on a no win no fee basis. That means you don't pay anything upfront, and there's nothing to pay if your claim is unsuccessful*. 

If your claim succeeds, your opponent pays most of your legal fees, with anything outstanding coming out of your compensation. We'll keep you updated throughout your claim so you'll know how much compensation to expect.

How Long Do I Have To Claim After A Road Accident?

In most cases, you must start your claim within three years of the accident and we advise you to contact us as soon as possible.

There are some exceptions to this three year time limit, especially in cases involving children or people without the mental capacity to make a claim themselves - find out more about exceptions to the three year time limit

Can I Make A Road Accident Claim If It Was My Fault?

It's worth speaking to us even if you think you were to blame. It may be that you were partly to blame, but you may still be able to claim if someone else was also partially at fault.

We'll talk to you about what happened and give you an honest view on your chances of receiving compensation.

How Long Do Road Traffic Accident Claims Take?

How long your road traffic accident claim takes depends on a range of factors, including the severity of your injuries and the complexity of the case. Some simple cases may settle in a few months, whereas more complex cases will take longer.

As soon as we have enough information, we'll give you an estimate of how long your claim will take.

Why Choose Us?

We're one of the UK's leading firms of road traffic accident solicitors. Many leading motor insurers work with us as they know we'll fight to get the best outcome for our clients. We successfully settle thousands of RTA claims each year, so no matter what happened to you, you know we have the experience and knowledge to help you claim.

Contact Us

For a free initial consultation about your road accident claim, call us on 0800 056 4110 or contact us online and we’ll come back to you as soon as possible.

No Win No Fee*
Accredited personal injury experts
Help accessing rehabilitation
Offices across the UK

Independent Reviews

Take a look at feedback from our recent clients.

Based on 690 reviews

Call us for a free initial consultation

0800 056 4110

Or we can call you back at a time of your choice

  • Phone lines open 24/7, 365 days a year

Contact us today

For a free initial consultation

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

Road Traffic Accident Claims - More information
    • Will I Need To Have A Medical Examination?
    • If you've been injured in a road traffic accident you should seek medical assistance as soon as possible. Even if you only appear to have minor injuries, they could be more serious than you think and you should see a doctor.

      You’ll also need to have a separate medical examination as part of the claims process, which we'll arrange. This will help us to determine the extent and impact of your injuries, which is an essential part of working out how much compensation you are owed.

      Find out more about the medical examination you'll need.

    • My Insurance Company Has Recommended A Law Firm, Do I Have To Use Them?
    • Many insurance companies have preferred solicitors that they work with, but you’re still free to make up your own mind, and they can’t insist that you use the lawyers they recommend.

      It's important that you choose a solicitor that you’re comfortable with, and are able to communicate with easily and clearly. We have offices across the UK, and can be reached by phone and email.

      Before you make a decision, you should consider all of your options, so give us a call on 0800 056 4110 for a free consultation with no obligation to make a claim.

    • Will I Have To Go To Court?
    • When investigating your compensation claim, we'll always try and establish who was responsible for your accident, and work hard to get an admission of liability from them.

      If this is possible, then your case can be settled without court proceedings. This is the case for the vast majority of the claims we pursue.

      However, if the person responsible will not admit fault, or the value of your claim cannot be agreed, then court proceedings may be necessary.

      If this happens, don't worry – we'll be there to support you every step of the way.

    • Can I Get Early Compensation Payments?
    • Early compensation payments, also known as interim payments, are made in advance of any final settlement. They’re only made in an agreement with your opponent if they admit that they're responsible for your injuries.

      Interim payments can be used to replace lost earnings, so you can afford to pay essential bills if your injury has meant you’ve been absent from work, as well as covering the cost of specialist medical care or mobility equipment.

      We'll work hard to get an early admission of fault and also to obtain early compensation payments to relieve any immediate pressures you’re feeling.

It was so fantastic to have Irwin Mitchell supporting my recovery. They put in place additional services for me to help me with my rehabilitation, and it was able to carry on when the community services came to an end.”

Jaxx, client
Client Jaxx Cave

Frequently Asked Questions

What Are The Most Common Types Of Road Traffic Accidents?

Although the majority of accidents on the road are between two cars, there are many other circumstances in which people can be injured, and may be entitled to claim compensation.

Accidents involving pedestrians or cyclists are also common, and can be very serious due to the lack of protection that these road users have compared to drivers. The same is true for motorcyclists, with the added risk of high speeds.

Cyclists and motorcyclists are often injured as a result of drivers not giving enough space to manoeuvre, pulling out into their path without looking, or not noticing bicycles or motorbikes in a blind spot. Cyclists are at particular risk from lorries and vans, because of the bigger blind spots on these vehicles.

Accidents involving public transport, whether a bus or a coach, can be incredibly traumatic, as these incidents can result in a larger number of victims, and may end up being quite high profile cases. The person responsible for the accident might not necessarily be the driver of the vehicle, or another road user. The transport operator could be found responsible if its safety or training procedures are found to be inadequate.

Bus and coach claims aren't just limited to public transport operators: private hire companies, as well as school bus or coach tour operators, can also be responsible for injuries. Similarly, accidents involving a taxi may involve claiming against a private hire company.

Road traffic accidents can cause a range of minor and serious injuries. Whiplash, an injury caused by the head snapping back and forth putting pressure on the neck and spine, is very common in road traffic accidents.

Tragically, hundreds of people are killed in road traffic accidents every year. You may be able to claim compensation if a loved one has died in an accident – find out more about fatal accident claims.

Read More... Read Less...

Does Irwin Mitchell Offer Rehabilitation Support?

We consider rehabilitation following a road traffic accident to be as important as financial compensation. Our personal injury specialists will work with you throughout every step of your claim so we can understand what support you need, and how you can access it in the best way, both today and in the future.

Rehabilitation can be an essential part of helping you and your family deal with the effects of a road traffic accident, helping you to recover from your injuries as much as possible. The support you need to help you travel and return to work will all be considered when calculating how much compensation you should receive.

We aim to ensure our clients are provided with the best rehabilitation support available, which is why we have won the Post Magazine Rehabilitation First Awards' Claimant Solicitor of the Year award seven times.

Where possible, we'll arrange for private care in a location near your home, so travelling to appointments is never an inconvenience. If it’s appropriate in your case, you may able to access a range of rehabilitation treatment and assistance, including:

  • Surgeries
  • Medication
  • Physiotherapy
  • Counselling
  • Mobility equipment
  • Modifications to your home or vehicle
  • Travel expenses to and from appointments

Learn more about how we can help you gain access to rehabilitation.

Read More... Read Less...

Why Choose Irwin Mitchell?

We have many years of experience handling a wide range of road traffic accident claims, dealing with thousands of successful claims each year. Our solicitors have helped clients claim over £1 billion in compensation in the last two years alone.

No matter the injury, and no matter the circumstances, you will be met with compassionate, practical advice. The first time you contact us, we'll have a free initial consultation to discuss your accident, whether we think you can claim, and what your options are. There’s no obligation to go ahead with a claim at this stage, so you’ve got nothing to lose by giving us a call.

If you do choose us, we'll guide you through the claims process step by step, in plain English, letting you know exactly what we need from you at every stage. You can find out more about the claims process, or read our claims guide if you'd like to know more, or ask us any questions that you have when you speak to us.

Our specialised expertise in road traffic accident claims means you can be sure of excellent advice and support whatever your circumstances. Our road traffic accident investigation team, which includes a former police accident investigator and an advanced driving instructor alongside our expert personal injury solicitors, could interview witnesses, carry out site inspections and prepare reconstruction reports to find out who was at fault, where appropriate.

We're one of the only law firms in the UK with a specialist department carrying out this work, so you can be sure that we'll leave no stone unturned in our efforts to help you get the compensation you need.

We understand that every road traffic accident claim is different, from the circumstances of the accident and the vehicles involved, to the injuries suffered. Your claim will be handled by a lawyer with expert knowledge in the type of road accident you have been involved in, including:

To begin your claim, contact us today on 0800 056 4110 for a free initial consultation about your case.

Read More... Read Less...

Awards & Accreditations

The Times Best Law Firms 2019 chambers-2019 legal-500-2019

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.

Read More Feedback

Proudly supporting vital charity work.

We're registered as approved solicitors with a number of leading national charities, and many of our team volunteer with these charities and support groups too.

Charities and groups we're involved with include:

  • Brake – the Road Safety Charity
  • RoadPeace – the Road Crash Victims Charity
  • Headway – the Brain Injury Association
  • The Brain and Spine Foundation
  • The Spinal Injury Association
  • The Child Brain Injury Trust
  • The UK Acquired Brain Injury Forum

Our Offices

Our offices are located in major cities throughout the UK and have excellent transport links.

© 2019 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.