Our team of specialist lawyers can help you protect and enforce your rights over trade secrets, know-how and confidential information.
This type of information can often be one of your business’s most valuable assets. And that also means it can be one of your biggest business risks.
Employees, contractors, business partners and customers may all legitimately need access to confidential information. We can help you put in place agreements, policies and processes to protect you against it being misused.
What is a trade secret?
A trade secret is something that either:
- Doesn’t fall within the definition of other intellectual property types, such as a patent
- You don’t wish to submit an application for as it’s sensitive (as there’s a level of disclosure required).
Things that might be considered trade secrets include a secret recipe, a manufacturing process, pricing data or a customer list.
For a piece of information to be considered a trade secret, it needs to be commercially valuable and a true secret known by only a few people. You also need to take reasonable steps to protect the information, such as through the use of confidentiality agreements with suppliers, business partners and customers.
What trade secrets services do we offer?
There are two main areas where our trade secrets lawyers can help you:
- Audit of current risks and recommendation of protective measures to take
- Confidentiality agreements with customers, suppliers and business partners
- Employment policies and contracts – including post-termination restrictions.
2. Disputes and enforcement
- Litigation – enforcing your rights where information has been stolen or misused
- Defence - representing businesses or people accused of misusing information.
Who can we help?
Our team can help businesses of any size with issues around trade secrets, know-how or confidential information. We work across many sectors, but have particular expertise in food and drink, manufacturing and technology.
Why choose our trade secrets lawyers?
We know how important it is to protect your business’s confidential information. Our trade secrets lawyers work with a wide range of clients in this area, and have a huge amount of experience protecting and enforcing rights.
Protecting trade secrets can often involve specialist lawyers from a number of different areas, including employment, commercial and litigation. As a full-service law firm we have people in all these areas and can build a team around your needs.
We’re renowned litigators with a proven track record. No matter how complicated the issue, you can rely on us to get the best outcome.
If you need advice about a trade secret, know-how or confidential information issue, our lawyers are here to help. Call us on 0808 271 2602 or contact us online and we’ll get back to you.