Once you've taken the decision to divorce, untangling your shared finances and assets can feel daunting. But getting a satisfactory financial settlement is an important part of securing your future.
A financial settlement is a legally binding decision on how you and your partner will divide your assets and wealth when your marriage ends. This can include:
- Rights to property
- Any international assets
- Liabilities for debts
- Custody of children – along with any maintenance payments, school fees etc.
With so much to consider, you need to have the best legal expertise on your side. Our nationally renowned solicitors have decades of experience, working in the highest courts, changing laws and setting new precedents. We offer a personal service, ensuring you're completely in the know and supported every step of the way.
A one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t work when defining a financial settlement, so we will look at your finances and lifestyle and ensure you get the best outcome possible. A range of factors are taken into account when deciding the terms, including:
- You and your partner's assets and finances
- You and your partner’s current and future needs
- Each of your earnings and earning capacity
- Whether there is any foreseeable change in your or your partner's finances
- Whether you have children, and if so, their ages and needs
- The age of you and your partner
- Both parties’ health, and whether this will affect your future abilities to earn
- The length of your marriage – including any time spent living together before you got married.
You do not necessarily need to go to court to reach a financial settlement – you could agree an outcome with your partner through negotiation, arbitration, mediation or collaboration. We can put you in touch with a suitable mediator or arbitrator, who can help you get a quick resolution.
It is worth noting, however, that even if you agree a financial settlement out of court, you may need to take other issues, such as childcare, before a judge.
We work with you to ensure you understand the process and feel comfortable with every decision. It’s important to work with experts whom you trust, and who have the knowledge and experience to secure you the best possible result.
If you would like to talk to us about how we can help you with your divorce financial settlement, or if you would like to know more about our divorce services, call us on 0345 604 4911 or contact us online and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.