0370 1500 100


Whether you’re optimising international investment structures or putting money aside for your children, tax is a part of every big financial decision. Our solicitors can help you make the right decisions, staying tax-efficient and compliant with UK and international law.

With tax laws regularly changing and getting ever more complicated, it’s difficult to keep on top of your various tax obligations. It’s even more complex if you have multiple sources of income, international wealth, or non-dom status.

We can help you pay the right amount of UK and international tax and comply with all relevant reporting legislation. We’ll also advise on any opportunities to reduce your tax where appropriate.

Our expert tax solicitors have a deep knowledge of UK and international tax law and vast experience helping high net worth individuals, businesses, trusts, and families with their tax law issues. We could help you with:

We’re not only a law firm, however. Dealing with the complexities of UK and international tax isn’t just about the law, and we’re a one-stop-shop for all your tax needs.

As well as a diverse group of legal specialists, we also have chartered tax advisers and accountants in our team. This means we can work seamlessly through every step of the tax planning process to keep your tax affairs as efficient and effective as possible.

Everyone’s personal situation is different, and so are their taxes. We offer a totally bespoke service that’s engineered for your unique needs and requirements, from completing a tax return to project managing a complex wealth structuring operation.

We have offices in major cities around the UK and we can provide advice and take instructions via phone or email too. Contact us online or call 0370 1500 100 to find out what we can do for you.

Offices in 15 locations across the UK
Chartered tax advisers and accountants in our team
Experts in reducing and managing tax on trusts
Offer a full range of personal and business tax services

For general enquiries

0370 1500 100

Or we can call you back at a time of your choice

  • Phone lines open 24/7, 365 days a year

Contact us today

And let us know how we can help

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

More Information - Tax
    • What Is Inheritance Tax (IHT)?
    • Inheritance Tax (IHT) is a tax on the value of the assets that you own – your estate - when you die.

      If you have a life interest or right to income in certain types of trusts, IHT can sometimes apply to these trusts’ assets as well. It can also be charged on any gifts to a trust that you’ve made in your lifetime.

      IHT is taken from your estate before any assets are distributed between your successors. In some cases, certain assets might have to be sold to pay the tax.

      There are a number of reliefs and allowances that reduce the amount of IHT that your estate must pay. For example, assets that you leave to a spouse or civil partner carry an exemption from IHT.

      We can help you make the most of these reliefs and allowances and ensure that your successors can benefit from as much of your estate as possible – find out more on our inheritance tax page.

    • What is Tax Residence?
    • Most countries tax you differently depending on whether you’re considered ‘tax resident’ or not.

      Tax residence is a slightly different concept to actual residence. This means that you might legally be a tax resident somewhere even if you don’t consider it your home.

      Each country has different laws to decide if you’re tax resident based on:

      • How long you’re in the country
      • Where your family live
      • Where you work
      • If you own a home in the country
      • How much money and assets you own in the country.

      The different tax laws in different countries can sometimes conflict, which could mean that you’re tax resident in multiple countries or that you pay tax on the same income twice.

      Read more about how we can help you plan your tax residence correctly.

    • What's Domicile? What’s Non-Dom?
    • Your domicile is your official permanent home and can be different to your tax residence. It can have an impact on the income tax, capital gains tax, and inheritance tax that you pay.

      You are automatically given your parents’ domicile when you are born. This is known as your domicile of origin.

      You keep domicile of origin until you get a new one. Even if you move abroad, your domicile probably won’t change unless you specifically change it.

      You need to meet certain criteria if you want to change your domicile. As a minimum you’ll have to:

      • Move to another country
      • Prove that you plan to live there permanently.

      Someone is a non-domiciled or ‘non-dom’ UK resident if they have changed their domicile but still live in the UK. This can come with tax benefits but it’s complicated to successfully take advantage of them – contact us online to find out how we can help with non-dom taxes.

    • I’m Being Investigated By HMRC – Can You Help?
    • If HMRC suspects that you’ve underpaid tax or under-reported income, they can look into your finances with a Code of Practice (COP) 8 or 9 investigation.

      They’ll ask you to provide financial information so they can confirm how much you’ve earned and how much tax you should pay.

      We can help whether you’re facing an upcoming investigation, you’re being investigated already, or you simply want to avoid it happening in the future.

      We assist with everything from assessing tax risk and preparing voluntary disclosures, to negotiating penalties with HMRC and representing clients during litigation.

      Find out more about our expertise on our tax investigations page.

    • What Is Wealth Structuring?
    • Wealth structuring combines varied legal and financial advice to help you manage, protect, and grow your wealth. Our wealth structuring advice includes:

      • Making and structuring investments
      • Setting up and managing trusts and family investment companies
      • Protecting assets
      • Efficient UK and international tax planning
      • Estate planning
      • Business law.

      Wealth structuring can also involve an array of other legal issues, such as Wills, family, immigration, or property law. As part of one of the UK’s largest private client teams, we have the expertise on hand to support you through whatever situations arise.

      Read more on our wealth structuring page

Irwin Mitchell are a very professional, trustworthy and straightforward company to deal with. I would recommend them to anyone."

Frank Clayton, client

Frequently Asked Questions

What About My Property And Assets In Different Countries?

We can help with a wide range of issues that might come up if you own property or assets in multiple countries, including:

  • UK tax returns, particularly Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED) returns for UK properties
  • Global tax
  • Asset protection
  • Will writing and estate planning
  • Forced heirship laws in certain countries that restrict who can inherit your assets.

Read more about our expertise with international tax law.

Read More... Read Less...

What If I Disagree With An HMRC Decision?

If you’re unhappy with the outcome of the HMRC investigation, you can request an internal review.

This will be carried out by another HMRC officer who has no previous involvement with the case. They can either confirm or change the figures of the original investigation.

If you’re still unhappy, you can appeal the decision in a civil court or tribunal – this starts the litigation process.

If they still find that you’ve underpaid, you’ll get a deadline to pay the difference, plus interest and a penalty payment. You may be allowed to make payments in instalments.

See our Tax Disputes and Litigation page for more information.

Read More... Read Less...

I’m Not A UK Citizen – Do I Still Have To Pay UK Inheritance Tax?

UK inheritance tax rules are based on your ‘domicile’ rather than your nationality. Your domicile is the place where the tax authorities consider your permanent home to be.

This means that your estate may have to pay UK inheritance tax if you have lived in the UK for several years – even if you are officially still a foreign citizen.

The rules surrounding tax domiciles are very complicated and it’s important to have specialist advice to avoid getting caught out. See our Tax Residence page for more information.

Read More... Read Less...

Awards & Accreditations

We're always proud to be recognised for the work we do for our clients and have been named as a leading firm in the latest legal guides - which provide information and recommendations about lawyers and law firms in the UK.

Private Client Team of the Year - Legal Business Awards 2018 chambers-2019 The Times Best Law Firms 2019 legal-500-2019 chambers-high-net-worth-firm-2018-logo eprivateclient Top Law Firms 2017

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.

Read More Feedback

Our Offices

Our offices are located in major cities throughout the UK and have excellent transport links.

© 2019 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.