0370 1500 100

International Tax

Global wealth and global lifestyles can make managing taxes incredibly complex. Our specialist international tax solicitors can help you stay compliant with international regulations and ensure you don’t pay any more tax than you have to.

If you have assets and investments in different countries, your wealth is affected by a variety of different tax regimes, regulations, and cultural issues. Ex-pats, non-doms, and foreign nationals living in the UK are all affected by international tax law too.

Staying legally compliant while taking advantage of all tax efficiency opportunities is complicated, time-consuming, and requires deep technical knowledge. Our dedicated international tax lawyers can advise on bespoke international tax strategies and manage them on your behalf.

We can advise on:

  • Cross-border tax planning
  • UK tax matters for individuals and families moving to or from the UK
  • Tax domicile and residence for you and your trusts, foundations and companies
  • Tax-efficient structuring of UK and cross-border investment
  • Using international tax treaties and conventions
  • Tax compliance and completing UK tax returns
  • Your obligations for disclosing financial information under the Common Reporting Standard
  • HMRC disclosures and enquiries.

As well as our own expertise in these areas, you’ll also benefit from our extensive worldwide network of industry contacts. We’re well-known in all major offshore financial hubs and can get you access to the products and services you need.

International tax often involves a wide range of related legal issues such as corporate law, property, trusts, and estates. We work closely with colleagues specialising in all these areas and more so you’ll always get a fully comprehensive strategy, whatever your situation.

We have offices across the UK and can also advise and accept instruction via phone or email so wherever you are, we’re here for you. Contact us online or call 0370 1500 100 to get started.

Extensive worldwide network of tax experts
Represent individuals and businesses in the UK and abroad
Offices in 15 locations across the country
Professional and confidential service

For general enquiries

0370 1500 100

Or we can call you back at a time of your choice

  • Phone lines open 24/7, 365 days a year

Contact us today

And let us know how we can help

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

More Information – International Tax
    • What UK Tax Do I Pay On My International Income?
    • Everyone has to pay UK tax on UK income but your tax residence and domicile determines how much UK tax you pay on foreign income and capital gains.

      UK tax residents who are UK domiciled pay UK tax on foreign income and capital gains.

      Non-domiciled UK tax residents don’t pay UK tax on foreign income or capital gains if they’re less than £2,000 in the tax year

      • They chose to pay tax on a remittance basis - this when you’re taxed only on your UK income and gains. Foreign income and gains you keep out of the country won’t be taxed.
      • Certain tax reliefs or allowances apply to them.

      Non-UK residents don’t pay UK tax on any foreign income. They only pay capital gains tax:

      • On UK residential property
      • In some cases if they have previously had UK tax residence and become UK tax resident again after a limited time.
    • What is Tax Residence?
    • Most countries tax you differently depending on whether or not you’re considered ‘tax resident’.

      Tax residence is a different concept to actual residence. This means that you might legally be tax resident somewhere even if you don’t consider it to be your home.

      Tax residence is usually based on:

      • How long you’re in the country
      • Where your family live
      • Where you work
      • If you own a home in the country
      • How much money and assets you own in the country
      • Where the centre of your life is.

      The different tax laws in different countries can sometimes conflict, which could mean that you’re tax resident in multiple countries or that you pay tax on the same income twice.

      It’s important to plan your tax residence correctly to avoid situations like these – contact us today to find out how we can help.

    • What Is Domicile? What’s Non-Dom?
    • Under English law, your domicile is the country or state of your permanent home which may be different to the place where you currently live. It can have an impact on the UK income tax, capital gains tax, and inheritance tax that you pay.

      You are automatically given your parents’ domicile when you are born. This is known as your domicile of origin.

      You keep your domicile of origin until you get a new one. Even if you move abroad, your domicile probably won’t change unless you specifically change it.

      You need to meet certain criteria if you want to change your domicile. As a minimum, under English law you’ll have to:

      • Move to another country
      • Prove that you plan to live there permanently.

      The UK has a special rate for long term UK residents who are not domiciled in the UK. Once they’ve been a UK tax-resident for 15 out of the previous 20 UK tax years they are treated as domiciled in the UK (‘deemed domicile’).

    • How Can We Help Families That Are Relocating To Or From The UK?
    • We can explain how your move will affect your UK tax situation for any UK and international wealth you own. We’ll tell you about any new rules and regulations that you’ll face and help you with any new reporting responsibilities.

      We’ll advise on how you can keep your taxes as efficiently as possible using a variety of laws and treaties rather than artificial schemes or tax engineering. We can also suggest the best way to structure your global assets to ensure full compliance with UK tax law.

      Of course, moving to a new country involves far more than taxes. You may also need to:

      • Buy a new home
      • Get a visa or apply for citizenship
      • Amend your Will
      • Invest in a business.

      Our solicitors can help with all these issues and more. See our immigration page for more information.

    • What If I Own Property And Assets In Different Countries?
    • We can help with a wide range of issues that might come up if you own property or assets in multiple countries, including:

      • UK tax returns, particularly Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED) returns for UK properties
      • Asset protection
      • Will writing and estate planning
      • Forced heirship laws in certain countries that restrict who can inherit your assets.
    • Why Choose Irwin Mitchell?
    • We’re well known for our international tax expertise and our team includes numerous renowned industry experts.

      We have excellent contacts with the offshore finance world and with the banks, wealth managers and third party service providers who you need to structure their assets effectively.

      We have structured tens of billions of assets for a wide range of clients all over the world including entrepreneurs, business people, and families with inherited wealth.

Irwin Mitchell are a very professional, trustworthy and straightforward company to deal with. I would recommend them to anyone."

Frank Clayton, client

Awards & Accreditations

We're always proud to be recognised for the work we do for our clients and have been named as a leading firm in the latest legal guides - which provide information and recommendations about lawyers and law firms in the UK.

Private Client Team of the Year - Legal Business Awards 2018 eprivateclient Top Law Firms 2017 legal-500-2019 The Times Best Law Firms 2019 chambers-2019

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.

Read More Feedback

Our Offices

Our offices are located in major cities throughout the UK and have excellent transport links.

© 2019 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.