What We Do
Our tax investigations team can help businesses and individuals subject to an investigation by HMRC. We can also advise taxpayers on issues not known to HMRC, to make a voluntary disclosure and bring their tax affairs up-to-date.
We can assist in the following matters:
- HMRC enquiries
- Code of Practice 9 investigations (the Contractual Disclosure Facility (CDF), where HMRC suspects tax fraud)
- Code of Practice 8 investigations (avoidance)
- Liechtenstein Disclosure Facility, and crown dependency disclosure facilities
- Other disclosure facilities
- Residence and domicile investigations
- Missing Trader Intra-Community (MTIC) fraud investigations (carousel fraud)
- Other HMRC disputes and investigations
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Criminal investigations and prosecutions
HMRC are becoming more sophisticated in the use of data to assist their risk-profiling of taxpayers. That means there is a greater chance that HMRC will identify those taxpayers who have not paid the correct amount of tax. The level of penalties for making a mistake with your tax affairs can be severe. That makes an early assessment of your position essential.
Our tax investigations specialists have experience helping a wide range of clients, across all business sectors, including:
- Individuals (including company directors)
- Offshore Trust Companies
- Professional advisers requiring specialist advice for their clients
Why Choose Irwin Mitchell?
If you have a tax problem – whether HMRC know about it or not – we can help. If you are a professional adviser, we can work with you to regularise your client’s tax affairs.
Our multi-disciplinary team comprises lawyers, accountants and investigation specialists. We can provide a complete case-handling service, or provide advice on particular aspects of an investigation. We can work with your existing adviser, to achieve a satisfactory outcome to your situation. With ex-HMRC experience, we can provide a unique insight into the options available, as well as determining what action HMRC is likely to take.
Please contact us for a free and confidential initial consultation to discuss your situation.
"They have their finger on the pulse and their judgement is second to none." - Chambers & Partners, 2015.
Described as having "renowned expertise in civil and tribunal tax matters. Especially well-known for advising on HMRC investigations into missing trader intra-community (MTIC) fraud." - Chambers & Partners, 2015.
If you’re under investigation by HMRC, our specialist tax investigation lawyers can advise you and help you make sure your tax affairs are up to date. Give our friendly team a call on 0808 291 6784 or get in touch online.