If you’ve been issued with an Unexplained Wealth Order, it’s important to get expert legal advice as soon as possible. That's where our help comes in. Our lawyers are highly experienced in helping people served with an Unexplained Wealth Order. We’ll work with you to prove that your assets were gained legitimately.
We know how an Unexplained Wealth Order can affect your reputation. That’s why we ensure that we handle your case discretely and efficiently.
What Are Unexplained Wealth Orders?
Unexplained Wealth Orders are orders of the High Court. They give law enforcement agencies the power to seize assets that may have been acquired illegally.
Unexplained Wealth Orders give permission to investigate the source of assets valued at more than £50,000. They’re only ordered when there are reasonable grounds to suspect the assets were purchased illegitimately.
An Unexplained Wealth Order is usually ordered when a serious crime is suspected, such as money laundering or fraud.
Unexplained Wealth Orders can be sought by several law enforcement agencies, including:
- National Crime Agency
- Serious Fraud Office
- Crown Prosecution Service
- Financial Conduct Authority.
What Happens When Unexplained Wealth Orders Are Granted?
If an Unexplained Wealth Order is granted, it’s your responsibility to prove the legitimacy of your assets.
If you can’t do this, it could result in:
- Your asset being presumed “recoverable property” with steps being taken to confiscate it
- An interim freezing order to stop you from getting rid of your assets
- A criminal investigation to find out more about your ownership of the assets.
Who Do We Help?
Our unexplained wealth order solicitors help both individuals and corporations suspected of involvement in a serious crime, such as fraud or money laundering. We work thoroughly but discretely, ensuring your reputation is protected.
How Do We Help?
We can give you advice on any of the following issues around an Unexplained Wealth Order:
- Taking preventative measures if you feel you may be at risk of investigation
- Considering whether the order was lawful and if you could challenge it
- Strategic advice and preparation in responding to an order to provide a legitimate explanation
- Multi-jurisdiction approach if needed. Worldwide coordination of evidence to prove your asset was obtained legitimately
- Handling/resisting interim orders, such as freezing orders.
Why Choose Us?
We’re highly experienced in dealing with complex Proceeds of Crime Act and asset tracing cases. Alleged financial crime can be very complex, with a range of legislation and investigative tactics being used. We’ll provide you with full support, no matter which way the investigation goes.
Our experience and specialist knowledge means our lawyers know how to handle a wide range of Unexplained Wealth Order cases.
We understand the stress these orders can cause individuals and businesses alike. They can have a detrimental impact on the reputation of people and corporations. That's why we ensure all our work is done with the utmost professionalism and discretion.
If you need advice on dealing with or preventing an Unexplained Wealth Order, call us today on 0808 271 2602. One of our solicitors will advise you on the best course of action.