In this case we acted for 16 holidaymakers who went to the all inclusive Tropical Garden Club Hotel in 1997 and 1998. All 16 of our clients fell victim to unpleasant gastroenteritis, which was later shown to have been caused by a breakdown in food hygiene practices at the hotel.
A stool test confirmed 1 person had been infected with salmonella food poisoning, and 5 holidaymakers developed permanent Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) which was proved to be a direct result of the infections picked up at the hotel. Tour operator JMC Holidays Ltd acknowledged that it was at fault and we negotiated compensation awards totalling over £370,000 for our clients.
The highest award was for Mr D, who received £275,000 after he became very seriously ill. He and his girlfriend had decided to celebrate their engagement with a holiday at the Tropical Garden Club Hotel in summer 1998, but the celebrations were ruined when he became ill just 2 days after arriving at the hotel.
His symptoms were so severe that he had to call for a doctor, who gave him an injection and prescribed some tablets which unfortunately did not seem to help. Mr D has continued to suffer debilitating gastric symptoms every day since the fateful holiday. He has attended his GP and various consultants many times over the years, and he has had to undergo a lot of unpleasant tests and investigations.
His symptoms affected his ability to work and he had to have a lot of time off sick, which resulted in significant financial difficulties. His symptoms also adversely affected his social life and his relationships with friends and family. As a result of all of this, he became depressed and was referred for counselling. A consultant gastroenterologist concluded that the infection picked up at the hotel had resulted in severe IBS which was unlikely to ever resolve.
If you've suffered food poisoning on holiday, our personal injury solicitors could help you claim compensation. Visit our Holiday Food Poisoning Claims page for more information.
Back to Client Stories