0370 1500 100

Families Speak About ‘Tremendous Effect’ Fatal Sheffield Crash Has Had On Their Lives

Taxi Driver Pleads Guilty To Motoring Offences


Andrew Hewitt, Press Officer | 0114 274 4255

Three crash victims have spoken about the tragic consequences of a horror smash which left their friend dead and themselves seriously injured.

Husband and wife Frederick and Patricia Gregory as well as Jean Flather suffered a catalogue of injuries when a taxi came through a gap in the central reservation on Sheffield Parkway and into their car. Jean Stringer was killed in the crash which happened when the four were returning from a day trip to the seaside.

Following the incident the families instructed specialist road accident lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate the circumstances of the collision.

The families have now spoken about their loss and the battle to overcome their injuries. 

Taxi driver Anser Rasib, has previously pleaded guilty to killing Jean Stringer, 88, of Woodseats, Sheffield. He also admitted seriously injuring Frederick, known as Mike, and Patricia, both aged 74, of Millhouses, Sheffield, as well as Jean Flather, aged 85.

Expert Opinion
“With our work in supporting those who suffer the heartbreak of losing a loved one through no fault of their own, we regularly see the impact not obeying the Highway Code can have on people’s lives. This case sadly is the latest example of this.

“The dangerous actions of the taxi driver have deprived a family of a much-loved mum and close friend.

“While nothing can bring Jean back we are pleased that the taxi driver has admitted his guilt. We will continue to support the families as they try to put the tragic events of that day behind them the best they can.”
Paul Weston, Solicitor

Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling road accident cases  

The quartet was returning from a day trip to Filey when a Skoda Fabia taxi veered head on into the path of their Honda Jazz. The collision happened at about 8pm on 8 July, 2017, near the Manor Way turn off.

Patricia suffered a broken pelvis, fractures to both arms and a torn diaphragm. She spent four weeks in hospital, including a week in intensive care, during which time it was her golden wedding anniversary. Patricia spent a further two weeks in a rehabilitation centre. She was unable to return to her role as a pastoral worker at Holy Trinity Church for six months and a support team had to take over the running of Tots 2 toddler group.

Mike spent two weeks in hospital and underwent surgery to insert three titanium plates after suffering a double arm break as well as elbow and nerve damage.

Jean Flather, of Filey, who was due to spend a few days with her cousin Mike and Patricia, in Sheffield suffered a broken leg and pelvis and serious chest injuries, including a collapsed lung. She was placed in an induced coma for two weeks and spent five weeks in total in intensive care after having her spleen removed. Jean was in hospital for several months and now has to take antibiotics for the rest of her life.

In a joint statement the three said: “The crash has had a tremendous effect on our lives and we still struggle because of the injuries we suffered. However, in some ways, we are the lucky ones. Jean and her family weren’t so fortunate and they have paid the ultimate price because of the taxi driver’s actions.

“We would like to thank the emergency services and hospital staff for everything they did in trying to save Jean and the care and support they always gave us through what was a very distressing and emotional time. 

“We are satisfied that the taxi driver has at last pleaded guilty and hopefully we can now all try to put this terrible tragedy behind us.”

 John Stringer, Jean’s son, added: “Our family has changed forever because of the careless actions of the taxi driver that evening. 

“Mum was everything to our family and we still cannot believe she is no longer with us.

“Whilst we welcome the guilty plea nothing will make up for her death. Our family’s only hope now is that this case acts as a warning to other motorists of the heartbreak that can be caused by irresponsible   driving on the roads.”

Anser Rasib, 42, of Fulwood pleaded guilty to one charge of causing death by dangerous driving and three counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving when he appeared at Sheffield Crown Court on Monday, 18 February. He is due to be sentenced on Friday.