Holiday illness solicitors at Irwin Mitchell secured a six-figure sum for a woman who contracted salmonella at the Angaga Resort in the Maldives in 2008.
Our client complained about the quality of the accommodation and the poor food hygiene standards in the restaurant. On several occasions during her stay at the hotel, she was served undercooked chicken and runny eggs. She also noticed that some of the lunchtime meals were recycled for the evening meals. Some of the hot buffet food – including meat and vegetables – was served lukewarm. There were a lot of flies in the restaurant and our client frequently saw cats in the restaurant area which were allowed to roam around buffet serving stations.
She suffered diarrhoea, vomiting, stomach cramps and hot and cold sweats. Her symptoms gradually worsened and she was taken to the local hospital for treatment in the Maldives. She was diagnosed with salmonella on her return to the UK and she still suffers on-going diarrhoea, stomach cramps, lethargy and tiredness.
The tour operator Regal Diving admitted liability for our client’s illness. Following negotiations, our International Personal Injury team successfully secured over £100,000 for our client, which will go some way towards compensating for her suffering and lost earnings, as well as paying for her care.
She was thrilled with the outcome of the case and thanked ‘[Irwin Mitchell] for their diligence and compassion. I am so thankful that this has come to a conclusion and so grateful for your help.’
If you've suffered food poisoning due to poor hygiene standards, our personal injury lawyers
could help you claim compensation. See our Food Poisoning Compensation Claims
page for more information.
Back to Client Stories