Call us on
0800 056 4110
Specialist lawyers from our asbestos-related disease team helped Roger Plowman and his wife Jane to claim compensation after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma.
Roger went to his GP after feeling an unfamiliar discomfort behind his right lung. After tests and a biopsy, he was diagnosed with mesothelioma.
Being exposed to asbestos is the only known cause of mesothelioma. Roger’s GP asked him if he could remember working with asbestos but Roger didn’t remember doing so.
After being diagnosed with the disease, Roger was getting support from his local mesothelioma support group and lung cancer nurses. He started to think again about if he had ever worked with asbestos and realised that in fact he had done so, 32 years ago.
Having remembered working with asbestos, Roger contacted our specialist lawyers to discuss making a compensation claim.
We worked with Roger to work out when exactly he was exposed to asbestos. It was important that we worked as quickly as possible.
We wanted to secure the compensation that would allow Roger and his wife to cover their immediate expenses and also to make sure Jane would be provided for after Roger’s death.
After going through Roger’s career history, we discovered that he had worked for a company that created, designed and manufactured display units for the cosmetics industry. While working there, Roger had to cut up asbestos sheets with a circular saw. He was given no protective equipment and was being exposed to asbestos every day at work.
We helped Roger make a claim against his former employer. The insurers argued that Roger was never exposed to asbestos at work but our claim was successful and Roger was able to feel confident that Jane would be provided for in the future.
Adrian Budgen from our specialist asbestos team said: “I feel a very great relief that we were able to reach a successful conclusion for someone who was an extremely deserving client. Roger was in this position through no fault of his own. He was given no warning about working with asbestos.”
Sadly, Roger has since passed away. He was always keen to let others know about mesothelioma and the dangers of asbestos.
Back to Client Stories
Simply complete the form below and one of our experts will get back to you.
This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.
Contact us today
For a free initial consultation
Use our form
Request A Call Back
Enter your details below and we'll call you back, at a time of your choice.