0370 1500 100

Under CA 2006, companies are able to change their name by special resolution as under the 1985 Act. However, from 1 October 2009, companies can also provide an alternative procedure for name changes within their articles.

The form of 'alternative procedure' is not prescribed by CA 2006 and so could simply involve a board resolution.

If, after 1 October 2009, the name of a company is changed using an 'alternative procedure', the Registrar must be provided with a notice of the change together with a statement that the change has been made under a provision contained in the company's articles.

From 1 October 2009, companies will also be able to effect a change of name conditionally on some event occurring (e.g. a merger) by special resolution, provided Companies House are notified appropriately in advance.