Each whiplash case is different, which makes it important to choose a solicitor with experience in this type of compensation claim. How much compensation you receive depends on a number of factors that will all influence the final figure, including:
- The severity of the injury – find out more about the grades of whiplash injuries
- The time it has taken you to recover
- Medical expenses you have incurred, including travel to and from appointments
- The impact your injury will have on your ability to return to work
- Any loss of earnings from being off work due to your injuries
- The cost of items damaged in the accident
Because every case is different, it’s very difficult for our lawyers to predict the amount of compensation you could receive until the full details of your accident and the full extent of your injuries are known.
How Much Could You Claim For Whiplash?
The amount of compensation that you can claim for a whiplash injury depends on the severity of your injuries. You could claim up to roughly £22,000 for serious cases involving permanent or recurring pain.
The figures below are intended as a guideline only for whiplash claims. They highlight how much you could expect to claim in a typical case. Please note that this guide covers less serious injuries. If you have suffered life-changing injuries, read about claiming compensation for more serious injuries.
Neck Injuries (Soft Tissue)
||Estimated Compensation** (£)
|Soft tissue injury with full recovery up to a year following the accident:
||up to £3,800
|Full recovery between one and two years:
||£3,800 - £7,000
|Where recovery takes more than two years but the on-going effects are moderate:
||£7,000 - £12,000
|More serious on-going problems where pain is permanent, or recurring, and surgery may be needed:
||£12,000 - £22,000
Our personal injury solicitors have secured over £1 billion in compensation for our clients in the past few years. If you or a loved one has been injured in a road traffic accident that wasn't your fault, we may be able to help you claim compensation. Call us on 0800 056 4110 for a free initial consultation on your claim.
How do you claim for whiplash?
A typical whiplash claim goes through the following four stages:
- Investigation. We’ll investigate every aspect of your accident to establish who was responsible for your injuries.
- Medical examination and rehabilitation. We'll arrange for you to be medically examined and the expert will prepare a medical report and consider any rehabilitation support you'll need, and we can help you access it.
- Compensation. After assessing your injuries as well as any financial losses you've incurred, we'll then present the claim to those responsible, and negotiate with them to get you the best possible award.
- Conclusion. Your claim is resolved, and you receive compensation. The claim may need to be settled in court, but this is very rare, with most settling before a case reaches this stage.
For a free initial consultation about your whiplash claim, call us free on 0800 056 4110 or contact us online.
The above information relates to the law in England and Wales.
*To make a No Win No Fee claim, you need to enter into an agreement that's linked to a suitable insurance policy. We'll explain this in more detail before we start your claim.
**Compensation amounts are presented as a guide only, and cannot be guaranteed.
All Scottish cases will be handled by the Scottish law firm with which we’re associated, Irwin Mitchell Scotland LLP. The law relating to funding is different in Scotland and you’ll receive separate advice about what that means as well as a separate funding agreement.