Call us Free on 0800 056 4110
Road Traffic Accident Claims

Cycling Accident Claims

Cyclists are vulnerable road users and cycling accidents can cause serious injuries with lasting consequences. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident you may be entitled to compensation or to claim on behalf of a loved one who’s been injured.

Usually, your injury will have been caused by a collision with a car, van or other road user, but it could also be due to a road or cycle lane in poor condition (e.g. potholes), or because your bike or helmet failed. Even if you’ve been injured in a hit and run and can’t identify the driver you could still claim.

How To Claim For A Cycling Accident

Talk to one of our experts in a free initial consultation. We’ll work out if you have a claim and you can decide if you want us to represent you.

If you’re happy for us to take your case, we’ll gather evidence in support of your claim and have your injuries examined by independent medical experts. We’ll then ask the person responsible to accept fault for your injuries and ask their insurer to agree to pay compensation. We’ll also help you to get the best rehabilitation possible.

We settle most cycling accident claims out of court this way. If we need to go to court to get you compensation, we’ll support you throughout the process and make sure your claim’s resolved as quickly as possible.

How Long Do I Have To Claim For A Cycling Accident?

You’ll usually need to make a claim within three years of your bicycle accident, unless you’re claiming on behalf of a child or a loved one who lacks the mental capacity to claim themselves:

  • You can claim for a child any time before their 18th birthday, after which they have three years to claim
  • There's no time limit if you’re claiming on behalf of someone who lacks the mental capacity to claim
  • If you’re claiming for a loved one who died as a result of their accident, you need to claim within three years of their passing or from receiving their post mortem results.

How Much Can I Claim For A Cycling Accident?

There's no set amount you could claim for a bicycle accident. Your compensation settlement will take into account how seriously you’ve been hurt and what the financial costs of your accident are. Once we know the circumstances of your accident our solicitors will tell you how much compensation you could get.

When working out how much compensation you should get, we’ll look at:

  • How severe your injuries are
  • The costs of your current and future medical care. If necessary, we can seek a settlement that will pay for treatment for the rest of your life
  • Any income you have lost or will lose through work absence or unemployment
  • Costs of home or vehicle adaptation required as a result of your injury
  • Damage to your bike or other property such as your helmet, clothes, phone or laptop.

How Long Does It Take to Get Compensation For A Bicycle Accident?

How long it takes to get you compensation will depend on:

  • Proving who was responsible for your injury
  • If and when that person accepts responsibility
  • The severity of your injuries and how long it takes to work out your treatment and rehabilitation needs.

In the majority of cases we’ll be able to get you compensation by settling out of court, which is quicker than going to court. We may be able to secure part of your settlement early, as ‘interim’ payments, ahead of your full settlement. These can be used to help you with lost earnings, expenses, medical and travel costs.

What Rehabilitation And Treatment Can I Get?

If you’re suffering from a serious injury, such as a spinal or head injury, you may meet with one of our specialist client liaison managers. They can work with your treatment team to produce a full recovery or injury management plan.

We can also help you access life changing rehabilitation, physiotherapy, mental health and home care services, and put you in touch with local charities and support organisations. If you’re living with traumatic long term or lifetime injuries we’ll support you with specialist home and vehicle adaptation services to make your life easier.

Can I Make A No Win No Fee Cycling Accident Claim?

We handle most cycling accident claims on a no win no fee basis and there’s a good chance we’ll make your claim this way. If your case is successful your opponent will pay most of your legal costs, with the rest taken from your settlement. If you don’t receive compensation you won’t pay anything at all*.

If no win no fee isn’t an option there are other ways you can pay (such as legal expenses insurance, which may be included in your home or vehicle insurance plans). You can talk to one of our road traffic accident experts about the best way to pay for your case in your free initial consultation.

Why Choose Us?

Our solicitors are part of the largest personal injury law firm in the country and have helped clients in hundreds of cycling accident claims. Supported by experienced investigators and medical professionals, they have the expert knowledge needed to value your claim and get you the compensation you really need.

We’re one of the few law firms in the country that has a dedicated road traffic accident investigation team, including a former police investigator. They’ll help our lawyers gather evidence for your claim, ensuring your case is as strong as possible.

We put our clients first and you’ll be given all of the support you need by our friendly team throughout your claim. If you’re suffering from a serious injury, we’ll connect you with medical and rehabilitation services from leading charities and private health professionals to help you make the best recovery possible.

Contact Us

Call us on 0800 056 4110 to speak to one of our solicitors about your injury claim or get in touch online and we’ll call you back.

No Win No Fee*
Offices across the UK
Accredited personal injury experts
Help accessing rehabilitation

Call us for a free initial consultation

0800 056 4110

Or we can call you back at a time of your choice

  • Phone lines open 24/7, 365 days a year

Contact us today

For a free initial consultation

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

Cycling Accident Claims - More Information
    • Can I Claim Compensation If I May Be Partly Responsible For My Accident Or Injury?
    • Yes, although if your actions are seen as partly causing your accident or worsening your injuries you may receive less compensation. This could include signalling incorrectly leading up to an accident or suffering worse injuries because you were cycling without a helmet.

      For example, if you’ve been hit by a reckless driver while cycling without a helmet, the driver is responsible for causing your injuries and you’re entitled to make a claim. But you may receive less compensation for your injuries if you weren’t wearing a helmet.

      Get in touch with us online or call us on 0800 056 4110 to talk about your case and see if you’re able to make a claim.

    • Can I Claim For A Hit And Run Accident?
    • Even if you’ve been injured in a hit and run cycling accident you can still claim compensation. If we can’t find out who caused your accident then we can help you claim through the Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB), which has a fund to compensate victims of uninsured or unknown drivers.

    • Can I Get Early Compensation Payments?
    • Early compensation payments, also known as interim payments, are made in advance of any final settlement. They’re only made in an agreement with your opponent, if they admit that they're responsible for your injuries.

      Interim payments can be used to replace loss of earnings, so you can afford to pay essential bills if your injury has meant you’ve been absent from work, as well as covering the cost of specialist medical care or mobility equipment.

      We'll work hard to get an early admission of fault, and also to obtain early compensation payments to relieve any immediate pressures you’re feeling.

    • Who Is My Cycling Accident Claim Against?
    • Your claim will be against whoever is responsible for causing your injury. Often this will be a motorist or another cyclist. However, you may be claiming against a local authority if your accident was caused by a poorly maintained road or cycle lane.

      Your accident may also have been caused or your injuries worsened by a fault with your bike or safety equipment, such as your helmet or lights. In this case you could claim against the manufacturer.

      While your claim will be against whoever is responsible for causing your accident, any settlement or compensation you receive will be paid by their insurance company.

It was so fantastic to have Irwin Mitchell supporting my recovery. They put in place additional services for me to help me with my rehabilitation, and it was able to carry on when the community services came to an end.”

Jaxx, client
Client Jaxx Cave

Frequently Asked Questions

Why Should I Choose Irwin Mitchell To Claim For A Cycling Accident?

We understand that cyclists are vulnerable road users and we work with leading road traffic charities such as Brake and RoadPeace to help raise awareness of the dangers that cyclists face.

Our specialist solicitors are used to handling claims involving very serious injuries, so we can offer expert advice not only on compensation, but also on rehabilitation and access to specialist medical care.

We’re one of the only law firms in the UK with a specialist road traffic accident investigation team, which includes a former police accident investigator and an advanced driving instructor.

You’ll be met with clear, straightforward advice that puts you and your family first during this traumatic time. We'll focus on ensuring you can access all of the medical care and support you need to recover and live independently as quickly as possible.

If you have any questions at all, contact us to find out more about how we can help on 0800 056 4110 – that first conversation is free and there's no obligation for you to take things any further.

Read More... Read Less...

What If I Wasn't Wearing A Helmet?

There is not a legal requirement in England, Wales or Scotland for a cyclist to wear a helmet, even though the Highway Code encourages their use.

There is also no law that says failing to wear a helmet leads to a reduction in compensation if the accident led to a head injury.

However, it is a factor that could be taken into account by the court when your compensation amount is being decided.

This is also the case in circumstances when a law has been broken (such as if  you didn't have lights on your bike and the accident occurred at night).

In both these instances the amount of compensation you receive could be reduced, but it doesn’t affect your right to make a claim.

Learn more about cycling claims and the law.

Read More... Read Less...

Awards & Recognition

We're always proud to be recognised for the work we do for our clients and have been named as a leading firm in the latest legal guides - which provide information and recommendations about lawyers and law firms in the UK

Leading Firm - Legal 500 2017 The Times Best Law Firms 2019 chambers-2019

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.

Read More Feedback

Proudly supporting vital charity work.

We're registered as approved solicitors with a number of leading national charities, including:

  • Brake – the Road Safety Charity
  • RoadPeace – the Road Crash Victims Charity
  • Headway – the Brain Injury Association
  • The Brain and Spine Foundation
  • The Spinal Injury Association
  • The Child Brain Injury Trust
  • The UK Acquired Brain Injury Forum

We consider rehabilitation to be as important as financial compensation – a commitment that has also seen us win Post Magazine’s Rehabilitation Award for Claimant Solicitors on seven occasions.

Our Offices

Our offices are located in major cities throughout the UK and have excellent transport links.

© 2019 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.