Call us Free on 0800 056 4110
Car Accident Claims

Claims Against Uninsured Drivers

After a road traffic accident that results in injury, discovering that the other party doesn't have insurance shouldn't create further stress and complication for you at an already traumatic time.

Our personal injury solicitors have a wide range of experience in dealing with road traffic accident compensation claims of all kinds, including claims against uninsured drivers, or even accidents involving stolen vehicles.

Whether you were injured in an accident involving an uninsured driver as a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist or driver, our road traffic accident lawyers could help you make a claim through the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB), an insurance industry-funded organisation that was set up to help people in this situation. If you were injured in an accident involving a stolen vehicle, the MIB could help if the insurance company covering the vehicle's owner is unwilling to pay.

We have a proven track record of successfully making claims through the MIB, as well as appealing its decisions when needed. We make the claims process as simple as possible, to avoid any further stress while you focus on recovering from your injuries.

Most of the claims we handle are on a No Win No Fee basis. This means that there's nothing for you to pay upfront, and that you won’t have to pay any legal fees if your claim is unsuccessful*.

If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident with an uninsured driver or stolen vehicle, call us today on 0800 056 4110 or contact us online for free initial advice about your case.

No Win No Fee*
Offices across the UK
Accredited personal injury experts
Client liaison managers to help access specialist support

Call us for a free initial consultation

0800 056 4110

Or we can call you back at a time of your choice

  • Phone lines open 24/7, 365 days a year

Contact us today

For a free initial consultation

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

Claims Against Uninsured Drivers- More Information
    • How Much Compensation Can I Expect?
    • How much compensation you can expect to receive following a road traffic accident will depend on a number of factors related to your injury, its circumstances, and the support and rehabilitation you need as a result.

      The amount of compensation you could claim is based on:

      • Current and future loss of earnings
      • Medical and travel expenses you have incurred
      • Your care and support needs – both now and in the future
      • Modifications to your home
      • Mobility aids
      • Your pain and suffering

      Find out more about guide compensation amounts following road traffic accidents or call us on 0800 056 4110, and we'll be happy to discuss your options in a free initial consultation.

    • Can I Make A No Win No Fee* Claim?
    • You may be able to fund your case with a No Win No Fee agreement. This means that there’s no financial risk* to you when making a compensation claim.

      At the start of your case, we'll discuss funding options with you, advising you on which we think is most suitable. If you have legal expenses insurance (LEI) or are covered by a trade union policy, these may be best for you. Legal expenses insurance is included in many household insurance policies, so it’s always worth checking whether you’re already covered.

      If we think you're best supported by a No Win No Fee* agreement, we'll explain the process clearly. You'll only have to pay anything when your claim is successful – your opponent will pay most of our fees, with any remaining costs coming out of your compensation settlement.

      Please visit our No Win No Fee page for more information on how it works.

    • How Long Do I Have To Make A Claim?
    • You normally have three years from the date of an accident to begin a compensation claim – or three years from the date of turning 18 if the incident happened when you were a child.

      However, there is no time limit for people who don't have the mental capacity to make legal decisions, which often applies to those who have suffered serious brain injuries.

      In fatal cases, the family of the deceased has three years to make a claim, starting from either the date your loved one died, or the date you received the post-mortem results.

      If your accident or injury happened outside of the UK, then the time limit can be shorter. In this instance, it's vital that you contact us as soon as possible in this case.

      If you have any concerns or questions about the time limit for claiming compensation, call our team today on 0800 056 4110 for free initial advice and to talk through your options.

    • Can I Get Early Compensation Payments?
    • Early compensation payments, also known as interim payments, are payments made in advance of any final settlement. They’re only made in an agreement with your opponent, if they admit that they're responsible for your injuries.

      Interim payments can be used to replace loss of earnings, so you can afford to pay essential bills if your injury has meant you’ve been absent from work, as well as covering the cost of specialist medical care or mobility equipment.

      We'll work hard to get an early admission of fault, and also to obtain early compensation payments to relieve any immediate pressures you’re feeling.

I would certainly recommend Irwin Mitchell to friends and family. The support I’ve received has been fantastic.”

Stewart, client
Stewart Smith quote image

Frequently Asked Questions

Who Can Claim Compensation Following An Accident With An Uninsured Driver?

Usually, when you make a claim following a road traffic accident, you’re claiming against the insurance of the driver responsible.

To combat the problem of uninsured drivers, the insurance industry funds an organisation called the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB). The MIB pays compensation to the victims of car accidents caused by uninsured or untraceable drivers, so the actions of the person responsible do not remove your entitlement to make a claim.

If you or a loved one has been injured as the result of an accident caused by an uninsured driver, you could claim compensation through the MIB.

However, if the accident was caused by the driver of an uninsured or stolen vehicle that you were a passenger in, you won’t be able to claim compensation if you knew that the vehicle was uninsured or stolen.

If you're uncertain about whether or not you'll be able to claim, we're happy to help. Call us on 0800 056 4110 for a free initial consultation – we'll discuss your accident, and advise you on the options that you have.

Read More... Read Less...

What Is The Motor Insurers' Bureau?

The Motor Insurers' Bureau is an insurance industry-funded organisation that helps victims of car accidents caused by uninsured or untraceable drivers, including hit and run accidents.

Every year, a proportion of the motor insurance premiums paid by everyone in the UK are put into a pool that is used to pay compensation in these circumstances. The MIB will investigate your claim, which may involve getting the police report on the accident, taking a statement from you and any witnesses of the accident, and getting copies of GP and hospital notes on your injuries.

They’ll also organise for you to have a medical examination, and will usually agree a compensation amount once this has been completed.

We have extensive experience dealing with MIB claims, as well as a proven track record in appealing claims that are either rejected or offer a compensation amount that is too low for the injuries and losses you have suffered.

Read More... Read Less...

What Happens When You Make A Claim Against An Uninsured Driver?

If the driver responsible for an accident didn't give you their insurance details at the scene, it may be possible for your insurer or the police to trace their details once you have reported the accident. If a driver is found not to have insurance, then your claim could be made to the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB).

Below is the standard process for a claim made to the MIB.

Stage One: Application

First of all, contact us. We'll provide you with free, straightforward advice, in plain English, on whether we think you'll be able to claim compensation.

If we think you’ll be able to claim, we'll help you with your application to the MIB. We'll help you complete your claim forms, advise you on any enquiries they may raise, and provide an independent valuation of your claim after seeking a medical opinion on your injuries.

We will make our own investigation into your claim, which will involve a medical examination by a specialist to determine the severity of your injuries, and any medical support you will need now and in the future.

We will also investigate the accident itself, using our road traffic accident investigation team if needed to interview witnesses, and get hold of police reports and GP notes.

The MIB will also independently investigate your claim, which will involve many of the same steps as our own. They’ll also organise for you to have a medical examination.

The reason we carry out our own investigation alongside the MIB is to ensure we reach the same conclusion on how much compensation you are owed. If the amount the MIB decide upon is lower, we can appeal their decision.

Stage Two: Rehabilitation

We believe rehabilitation is as important as compensation following an accident, so from the very beginning of your claim we’ll discuss what medical care and support you’ll need to recover from your injuries.

If necessary in your case, we'll work to make sure you can access the care you and your family needs to regain your health and independence as soon as possible following your accident.

For more information on how we can help you gain access to rehabilitation support, please visit our Rehabilitation page.

Stage Three: Compensation

The amount of compensation you receive will be determined by the MIB, which assesses damages in the same way as insurance companies or the courts. The amount you receive will depend on:

  • The severity of your injuries
  • Any medical care and support you require
  • Lost earnings as a result of your injuries

However, the MIB won’t pay for any loss that is insured elsewhere – for example, for repairs to your car if it was comprehensively insured, or the costs of private medical treatment if you have health insurance.

If the claim is rejected, or if the compensation amount awarded is too low, it's possible to appeal against the MIB's decision. We can advise you on the chances of an appeal succeeding, and have extensive experience of drafting appeals against the MIB's decisions. We have a high success rate in the appeals we run.

Stage Four: Conclusion

At the end of the claims and appeals process, you'll receive compensation from the MIB if you've been successful. If you're claiming under a No Win No Fee* agreement, then you won't pay anything if the claim is rejected.

Read More... Read Less...

Awards & Recognition

We're always proud to be recognised for the work we do for our clients and have been named as a leading firm in the latest legal guides - which provide information and recommendations about lawyers and law firms in the UK.

legal-500-2019 The Times Best Law Firms 2019 chambers-2019

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.

Read More Feedback

Proudly supporting vital charity work.

We're registered as approved solicitors with a number of leading national charities, and many of our team volunteer with these charities and support groups too.

Charities and groups we're involved with include:

  • Brake – the Road Safety Charity
  • RoadPeace – the Road Crash Victims Charity
  • Headway – the Brain Injury Association
  • The Brain and Spine Foundation
  • The Spinal Injury Association
  • The Child Brain Injury Trust
  • The UK Acquired Brain Injury Forum

We believe that getting you the right rehabilitation is just as important as claiming compensation. This approach has seen us win Post Magazine's Rehabilitation Award for Claimant Solicitors on seven occasions.


Our Offices

Our offices are located in major cities throughout the UK and have excellent transport links.

Start Your Claim Today

To begin your claim for compensation, or ask any questions regarding personal injury claims, contact us today for a free consultation.

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

© 2019 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.