Call us Free on 0800 056 4110
Industrial Disease Claims

Tinnitus Claims

Tinnitus, a high-pitched ringing, buzzing or humming in the ears, is a condition that many have experienced – after a loud concert, for example – and one that often disappears by the next morning.

However, regular exposure to excessive noise can cause significant hearing loss and permanent tinnitus. If this has happened because of work, our solicitors may be able to help you claim tinnitus compensation.

The constant ringing sound caused by tinnitus can cause difficulty sleeping, over-sensitive hearing, and could lead to a total hearing loss. Tinnitus has many causes, but the most common is from either an acoustic shock, or consistent exposure to loud noises without hearing protection – something that your employer should have provided for you if you've worked in a noisy environment.

The industries with the highest risk of hearing damage and tinnitus, whether because of sustained high volumes or unexpected loud noise, include:

  • Agriculture
  • Manufacturing
  • Engineering    
  • Construction
  • Service industry
  • Telecoms

If you've suffered from hearing damage at work that's resulted in tinnitus, then you could be able to claim compensation. Our solicitors have a proven track record in hearing loss claims, and in particular we've helped hundreds of telecoms industry workers claim compensation for tinnitus and other hearing problems.

Claiming from your employer can seem like a daunting prospect, so we aim to make the claims process as simple as possible for you, handling every aspect of your case and offering our expert advice and support at every step of the way.

The majority of the tinnitus claims we handle are on a No Win No Fee basis. This means that there's nothing for you to pay upfront, and that you won’t have to pay any legal fees if your claim isn’t successful*.

Call us today on 0800 056 4110 or contact us online to arrange a free initial consultation about making a claim.

No Win No Fee*
Accredited personal injury experts
Experienced workplace illness solicitors
Offices across the UK

Call us for a free initial consultation

0800 056 4110

Or we can call you back at a time of your choice

  • Phone lines open 24/7, 365 days a year

Contact us today

For a free initial consultation

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

  • Mark Allen
  • Associate Director
Meet the team
Tinnitus Claims - More Information
    • How Much Compensation Can I Expect?
    • How much compensation you receive after a work-related illness will depend on a few factors related to your illness, its circumstances, and the support and rehabilitation you need.

      The amount of compensation you could claim is based on:

      • Current and future loss of earnings
      • Medical and travel expenses you've had to pay
      • Your care and support needs – both now and in the future
      • Modifications to your home
      • Mobility aids
      • Your pain and suffering

      For more information, call us on 0800 056 4110 and we'll be happy to discuss your options in a free initial consultation.

    • Can I Make A No Win No Fee* Claim?
    • Many of our cases are funded with a No Win No Fee agreement. This means that there’s no financial risk* to you when making a compensation claim.

      At the start of your case, we'll discuss funding options with you, advising you which we think is most suitable. If you have legal expenses insurance (LEI) or are covered by a trade union policy, these may be best for you. Legal expenses insurance is included in many household or car insurance policies, so it’s always worth checking whether you’re already covered.

      If we think you're best supported by a No Win No Fee* agreement, we'll explain the process clearly. You'll only have to pay anything if your claim is successful – your opponent will pay most of our fees, with the remaining costs coming out of your compensation settlement.

      Please visit our No Win No Fee page for more information on how it works.

    • How Long Do I Have To Make A Claim?
    • Usually you need to make a compensation claim within three years of becoming aware that your illness might be linked to your work.

      In fatal cases, the family of the deceased has three years to make a claim, starting from either the date your loved one died, or the date you received the post-mortem results.

      If your illness occurred while working outside of the UK, then the time limit can be shorter. In this instance, it's vital that you contact us as soon as possible.

      If you have any concerns or questions about the time limit for claiming compensation, call our team today on 0800 056 4110 for free initial advice and to talk through your options.

    • Can I Get Early Compensation Payments?
    • Early compensation payments, also known as interim payments, are made in advance of any final settlement. They’re only made in an agreement with your opponent, if they admit that they're responsible for your illness.

      Interim payments can be used to replace lost earnings, so you can afford to pay essential bills if your illness has meant you’ve been absent from work, as well as covering the cost of specialist medical care or mobility equipment.

      We'll work hard to get an early admission of fault, and also to obtain early compensation payments to relieve any immediate financial pressures you’re feeling.

    • Will I Lose My Job If I Claim Against My Employers?
    • If you wish to make a claim against your current employer, then any compensation would be paid by their insurer. It has been compulsory to have insurance for many years, so it’s highly likely that they will have this in place. There are also legal safeguards in place to protect you from unfair dismissal.

      This basically means that your employer must be able to justify their reason for dismissing you in relation to your claim, which is highly unlikely. If you want to discuss this subject in more detail, our workplace illness solicitors will be able to talk you through your rights and what you can expect.

It was incredible, impressive and comforting how each member of the team was there to support us at different times."

Mr R, Northumberland

Frequently Asked Questions

What Hearing Protection Should I Have Been Given At Work?

Employers have a duty of care to their employees and, under the Health and Safety at Work Act, must protect them from health risks in the workplace, including hearing damage.

Employers should:

  • Perform audits of their employees' work environments, assessing the sources of noise and the risks they could cause
  • Reduce volume levels as much as possible through noise control, such as sound absorption materials
  • Ensure volumes don't exceed 87db on average across the week, or go beyond peak levels of 140db
  • Provide adequate hearing protection if requested, or if noise levels are above exposure limits
  • Identify and signpost areas where hearing protection is needed
  • Make sure hearing protection is properly maintained, and isn't damaged

Tinnitus has many different causes, and not all of them are always properly addressed by safety measures. Protecting against constant high volume is easier than against unexpected high volumes, for example. Still, your employer should take steps to protect you from tinnitus caused by acoustic shock by:

  • Ensuring that telecoms equipment is well maintained to avoid faults that can cause bursts of noise
  • Ensuring that employees don't work too closely together, to make sure phone users don't need to turn the volume up too far on their headset

If your employer hasn't made enough effort to reduce the impact of noise, or has failed to provide you with hearing protection, then their negligence could have put you at risk. If you’re unsure, or have any questions, contact us today on 0800 056 4110 for a free consultation on your case.

Read More... Read Less...

Can Irwin Mitchell Help Me Get Treatment For Tinnitus?

Unfortunately, serious cases of tinnitus are often permanent. Though it can improve gradually over time, there isn't a way to repair the damage to the ear completely.

However, there are a number of treatments for tinnitus, which can help you cope with the condition on a day-to-day basis, and we may be able to help you access this rehabilitation as part of your claim.

Treatments and support for tinnitus could include:

  • Sound therapy equipment. Pillows containing built in speakers, or tinnitus maskers that generate natural sounds, are common aids to help people with tinnitus sleep.
  • Hearing aids. Tinnitus is often accompanied by further loss of hearing, and straining to hear can make ringing in the ears worse. Hearing aids can also help you hear sounds that tinnitus is blocking out, and may help cover up the ringing noise.
  • Counselling and therapy. Audiologists or hearing therapists could provide tinnitus retraining therapy, which helps you come up with strategies to cope with tinnitus. Cognitive behavioural therapy, which can help you change the way you think about the condition, can also be effective.

We are dedicated to helping our clients get the rehabilitation support they need, and we consider it to be a key part of our service. For more information, visit our rehabilitation and support pages.

Read More... Read Less...

Why Choose Irwin Mitchell For A Tinnitus Claim?

We have a proven track record with workplace illness claims, particularly those involving hearing damage. Most notably, we have helped hundreds of BT employees both past and present claim compensation for acoustic shock, noise-induced hearing loss, and tinnitus.

Claiming against an employer can seem daunting, but by making a claim with us you'll have all of the expert advice and support you need. We handle every aspect of your case, making the whole process as simple as possible for you while you focus on coping with your condition.

Remember, there are legal safeguards in place that prevent employers from disciplining or dismissing employees who make compensation claims that they're entitled to make. We believe no one who has had an accident, been injured, or suffered from an illness at work due to employer negligence should be put off from claiming the compensation that they are entitled to.

This is the same even if it’s against a former employer who has since gone out of business. We have a proven track record in tracing the insurers of our clients' former employers, who will be responsible for your compensation payments.

We want to make sure that you receive the best compensation possible, and receive the medical care that you need. To ensure we leave no stone unturned, we'll arrange for you to have an examination with an audiologist to establish the full extent of your hearing damage.

We'll also help you access any medical treatments and rehabilitation support that you need to help you recover as much as possible from a life-altering condition.

To find out more about how to claim compensation for work-related tinnitus, contact us online, or call us today on 0800 056 4110 for a free initial consultation. We’ll discuss your condition, and whether we think you can claim.

Read More... Read Less...

Awards & Recognition

We're always proud to be recognised for the work we do for our clients and have been named as a leading firm in the latest legal guides - which provide information and recommendations about lawyers and law firms in the UK


The Times Best Law Firms 2019 chambers-2019 legal-500-2019

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.

Read More Feedback

Proudly supporting vital charity work.

We're registered as approved solicitors with a number of leading national charities, including the British Tinnitus Association.

We consider rehabilitation to be as important as financial compensation - a commitment that has also seen us win Post Magazine’s Rehabilitation Award for Claimant Solicitors on seven occasions. For more information, visit our rehabilitation and support pages.

Our Offices

Our offices are located in major cities throughout the UK and have excellent transport links.

Start Your Claim Today

To begin your claim for compensation, or ask any questions regarding personal injury claims, contact us today for a free consultation.

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

© 2019 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.