Call us Free on 0800 056 4110
Industrial Disease Claims

Chemical Poisoning Claims

Exposure to hazardous chemicals and substances can cause serious illness or injury, and can affect workers in a wide range of industries. If you've suffered from chemical poisoning at work, our solicitors could help you claim compensation.

Employers have a duty of care to their employees, and should provide anyone working with hazardous chemicals with the proper safety equipment and training. Chemical injury claims can be made when failure to do this has led to chemical poisoning.

Our lawyers have experience of handling chemical poisoning claims caused by number of hazardous substances, including:

  • Chemicals (or products containing chemicals)
  • Fumes, dusts, vapours and mists
  • Gases, particularly asphyxiating gases
  • Biological agents (bacteria and viruses)

The effects of chemical poisoning will vary depending on the substance and the type of exposure, but the following conditions can be common:

  • Dermatitis
  • Asthma
  • Allergies
  • Burns
  • Internal organ damage
  • Respiratory problems
  • Illnesses such as leptospirosis or legionnaires

If you've suffered a chemical poisoning-related illness or injury at or because of work, you could be able to claim compensation. Our solicitors have a proven track record in chemical poisoning claims, and we aim to make the claims process as simple as possible for you while you focus on recovery.

The majority of the claims we handle are funded through a No Win No Fee agreement. This means that there's nothing for you to pay upfront, and that you won’t have to pay any legal fees if your claim isn’t successful*.

Call us today on 0800 056 4110 or contact us online to arrange a free initial consultation on your claim. We'll advise you on whether we think you've got a case, with no obligation to continue.

No Win No Fee*
Accredited personal injury experts
Experienced workplace illness solicitors
Offices across the UK

Call us for a free initial consultation

0800 056 4110

Or we can call you back at a time of your choice

  • Phone lines open 24/7, 365 days a year

Contact us today

For a free initial consultation

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

Chemical Poisoning Claims - More Information
    • How Much Compensation Can I Expect?
    • How much compensation you receive after a work-related illness will depend on a few factors related to your illness, its circumstances, and the support and rehabilitation you need.

      The amount of compensation you could claim is based on:

      • Current and future loss of earnings
      • Medical and travel expenses you've had to pay
      • Your care and support needs – both now and in the future
      • Modifications to your home
      • Mobility aids
      • Your pain and suffering

      For more information, call us on 0800 056 4110 and we'll be happy to discuss your options in a free initial consultation.

    • Can I Make A No Win No Fee* Claim?
    • Many of our cases are funded with a No Win No Fee agreement. This means that there’s no financial risk* to you when making a compensation claim.

      At the start of your case, we'll discuss funding options with you, advising you which we think is most suitable. If you have legal expenses insurance (LEI) or are covered by a trade union policy, these may be best for you. Legal expenses insurance is included in many household or car insurance policies, so it’s always worth checking whether you’re already covered.

      If we think you're best supported by a No Win No Fee* agreement, we'll explain the process clearly. You'll only have to pay anything if your claim is successful – your opponent will pay most of our fees, with the remaining costs coming out of your compensation settlement.

      Please visit our No Win No Fee page for more information on how it works.

    • How Long Do I Have To Make A Claim?
    • Usually you need to make a compensation claim within three years of becoming aware that your illness might be linked to your work.

      In fatal cases, the family of the deceased has three years to make a claim, starting from either the date your loved one died, or the date you received the post-mortem results.

      If your illness occurred while working outside of the UK, then the time limit can be shorter. In this instance, it's vital that you contact us as soon as possible.

      If you have any concerns or questions about the time limit for claiming compensation, call our team today on 0800 056 4110 for free initial advice and to talk through your options.

    • Can I Get Early Compensation Payments?
    • Early compensation payments, also known as interim payments, are made in advance of any final settlement. They’re only made in an agreement with your opponent, if they admit that they're responsible for your illness.

      Interim payments can be used to replace lost earnings, so you can afford to pay essential bills if your illness has meant you’ve been absent from work, as well as covering the cost of specialist medical care or mobility equipment.

      We'll work hard to get an early admission of fault, and also to obtain early compensation payments to relieve any immediate financial pressures you’re feeling.

    • Will I Lose My Job If I Claim Against My Employers?
    • If you wish to make a claim against your current employer, then any compensation would be paid by their insurer. It has been compulsory to have insurance for many years, so it’s highly likely that they will have this in place. There are also legal safeguards in place to protect you from unfair dismissal.

      This basically means that your employer must be able to justify their reason for dismissing you in relation to your claim, which is highly unlikely. If you want to discuss this subject in more detail, our workplace illness solicitors will be able to talk you through your rights and what you can expect.

It was incredible, impressive and comforting how each member of the team was there to support us at different times."

Mr R, client

Frequently Asked Questions

What Protection From Chemical Poisoning Should I Have Been Given?

The Health and Safety at Work Act states that employers have a duty of care for their employees, and must protect them from health risks in the workplace. When hazardous chemicals that carry the risk of poisoning are being used, there is even more legislation that employers have to follow.

You should always be told:

  • What the hazards and risks are
  • If there is a workplace exposure limit – and what it is
  • The results of any exposure monitoring and health surveillance
  • What to do if there is an accident or an emergency

If you have to work with hazardous substances, a risk assessment under the 2002 Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations should have been carried out by your employer – or they should have designated a responsible person to carry it out. Any risks should be controlled, and employees should be given the relevant safety information and equipment. Personal protective equipment (PPE) can include:

  • Gloves
  • Overalls
  • Boots
  • Goggles

When working with hazardous chemicals, respiratory protective equipment (RPE) can also be required, such as face masks.

The PPE and RPE you're given also needs to be right for the job. Fabric gloves aren't adequate when working with liquids, for example. Masks should have the proper protective filters, and face-fit testing is often required.

If you weren't provided with PPE or RPE, or you weren't given any information on the dangers involved with your work, then your employer's negligence could have put you at risk. If you’re unsure, then contact us today on 0800 056 4110 for a free consultation on your case, and we'll be able to advise you.

Read More... Read Less...

What Industries Are At Risk From Chemical Poisoning?

Chemical poisoning can affect a wide range of industries, whether they involve working with industrial-strength chemicals, or everyday substances that are simply not handled correctly.

These are the most common industries our solicitors have worked with, and the substances that regularly cause harm:

  • Agriculture: dusts, chemicals, diseases and toxic gases
  • Baking: dusts, enzymes, flavour concentrates and cleaning products
  • Beauty: cosmetic products that cause skin irritation, allergies or asthma, and acrylic fumes
  • Catering: food and cleaning products that cause dermatitis, allergies and asthma
  • Cleaning: fumes, chemicals and products that cause dermatitis, allergies and asthma, as well as corrosives
  • Engineering: dusts, fumes, chemicals, and bacteria in metalworking fluids
  • Hairdressing: hair products that cause dermatitis, allergies or asthma
  • Offshore oil and gas: dusts, fumes and chemicals
  • Printing: corrosive products, solvent vapours, and ingredients that can cause damage to internal organs over a long period of time
  • Motor vehicle repair: paints, fuels, brake fluid, lubricants, degreasing fluids, cleaning products, dusts, battery acid, and fumes from welding or cutting
  • Woodworking: dusts, adhesives, paints, stripping fluids, lubricants, disinfectants

However, this list isn't exhaustive – if you've suffered from a chemical poisoning-related illness or injury because of employer negligence in any line of work, you could be able to claim. Contact us today on 0800 056 4110 for a free consultation on your case, and we'll be able to tell you if we think you have a claim.

Read More... Read Less...

Why Choose Irwin Mitchell For A Chemical Poisoning Claim?

Our solicitors specialise in chemical poisoning claims of all kinds, and can offer expert support in a number of areas, including asthma and dermatitis.

We act on behalf of a number of trade unions, but we can still help you make a claim if you're not a member of one.

If you've never made a compensation claim before, then making a claim against your employer can seem particularly daunting. We make the entire process as accessible and straightforward as possible for you, supporting you every step of the way with expert, plain English advice.

Remember, there are legal safeguards in place that prevent employers from disciplining or dismissing employees who make compensation claims that they're entitled to make. We believe no one who has had an accident, been injured, or suffered from an illness at work due to employer negligence should be put off from claiming the compensation that they are entitled to.

This is the same even if it’s against a former employer who has since gone out of business. We have a proven track record in tracing the insurers of our clients' former employees, who will be responsible for your compensation payments.

We want to make sure that you receive the best compensation possible, and receive the medical care that you need. To ensure we leave no stone unturned, we'll arrange for you to have an examination with a medical expert in your injuries or illness. This could be a dermatologist, an expert in respiratory problems, or a specialist in a specific illness, depending on your condition.

We'll also help you access any medical treatments and rehabilitation support that you need to help you recover as much as possible from your illness or injury.

To find out more about how to claim compensation for work-related chemical poisoning, contact us online, or call us today on 0800 056 4110 for a free initial consultation. We’ll discuss your work-related injuries, and whether we think you can claim.

Read More... Read Less...

Awards & Recognition

We're always proud to be recognised for the work we do for our clients and have been named as a leading firm in the latest legal guides - which provide information and recommendations about lawyers and law firms in the UK


The Times Best Law Firms 2019 legal-500-2019 chambers-2019

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.

Read More Feedback

Making a difference – specialist care and support services.

Rehabilitation means different things to different people. For some it’s being able to return to work, while for others it’s being able to become more independent around the house. Our personal injury solicitors are here for you whatever your situation is, and you can be reassured that we’ll help you access the care and support you need to make the best recovery possible.

Our Offices

Our offices are located in major cities throughout the UK and have excellent transport links.

Start Your Claim Today

To begin your claim for compensation, or ask any questions regarding personal injury claims, contact us today for a free consultation.

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

© 2019 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.