Information Sought On E Rushworth & Sons Factories In Leeds and Dewsbury
The devastated family of a former sheet metal fabricator from Leeds is appealing to his former workmates to establish how he was exposed to the asbestos that killed him.
Kenneth Dennison, from Rothwell, died on 27 December, 2019, around six months after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. A cancer of the lining of the lungs, the disease is commonly associated with asbestos exposure, often decades earlier.
Shortly before he died aged 84, Kenneth instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how he developed the illness and whether it may have been linked to his working life.
Now, the legal experts are keen to learn more about the conditions Kenneth faced while working for E Rushworth & Son at sites across Leeds from the early 1950s to 1977. They are appealing for anyone who worked with Kenneth to come forward and provide information on his role.
The appeal is being made ahead of Action Mesothelioma Day on 3 July.
Expert Opinion“This is yet another devastating case which highlights the terrible impact that asbestos exposure can have. Kenneth’s family is desperately trying to come to terms with his death and have a number of questions about how his illness developed.
“We would be hugely grateful if anyone with information about E Rushworth & Son is able to come forward, as it could make a major difference as we look to help Kenneth’s family honour his memory by establishing the answers he was unable to before his death.”
Oliver Collett - Senior Associate Solicitor
Kenneth, who leaves behind his wife Velma, son Paul, his grandchildren and great-grandchildren, worked at E Rushworth & Son Ltd from 1950. The company went on to change its name to Galloway Group (Northern) Ltd.
He initially joined as an apprentice sheet metal fabricator and left in 1953 after being called up for national service in the RAF. However, he returned in 1955 and worked with the firm up until 1977.
Prior to his death, Kenneth told Irwin Mitchell how he was initially based at a site in Hunslet, although the company went on to move to Beeston and then Watergate in Dewsbury. The firm made heating and ventilation ducting and while he was predominantly based at its factories, he did do some on-site work at hospitals and other buildings.
His son Paul, 55, said: “Before he died, dad mentioned that he thought asbestos exposure was most likely to have happened while he was out on installation jobs. He specifically recalled the task involving the removal of asbestos lagging and said this would make visible clouds of dust with the material going across his hair and clothes.
“He also said that duct installation would often release more of the dust into the air, but he and his workmates were never given warnings about any dangers.
“The diagnosis of mesothelioma came as a huge shock to us all. Dad said that he didn’t realise something from such a long time ago could cause an illness like it. He was a great man who we all looked up and who loved spending time with his family.
“It was awful to see how it affected him and losing him just after Christmas was incredibly difficult.
“We have so many questions about how he developed the cancer, so we would be hugely grateful if anyone who worked with dad or recalls the company in question could come forward.”
Action Mesothelioma Day is taking place on 3 July, and is held to raise awareness of this incurable disease, remember those affected by it and help fund research into finding a cure.
Anyone with information related to this case is asked to contact Oliver Collett at Irwin Mitchell’s Leeds office on 0113 394 6784 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling asbestos-related disease cases