Call us Free on 0800 056 4110
Serious Injury Claims

Children's Serious Injury Claims

A serious injury will have a significant impact on your child and family, affecting education, work and home life. Our solicitors know how much difference rehabilitation and compensation can make, and have helped many families in similar situations.

We’ve represented children who have suffered traumatic injuries such as:

Our lawyers believe in the importance of providing your child with access to the right sort of rehabilitation to maximise their recovery, whatever the nature or cause of the injury. The claims we often help with include:

The majority of the claims we handle are on a No Win No Fee basis. This means that there's nothing for you to pay upfront, and that you won’t have to pay any legal fees if your claim isn’t successful*.

We also understand the need to protect your child’s compensation for the future. We can advise you on issues relating to the Court of Protection and personal injury trusts, which can help keep their funds safe for the long-term.

To arrange a free initial consultation about your child's serious injury claim, call us free on 0800 056 4110 or contact us online.

Accredited serious injury lawyers
Court of Protection and personal injury trust experts
No Win No Fee claims available*
Specialist rehabilitation contacts

Call us for a free initial consultation

0800 056 4110

Or we can call you back at a time of your choice

  • Mon to Fri: 8:00am - 8:00pm
  • Sat to Sun: 9:00am - 5:00pm

Contact us today

For a free initial consultation

Prefer not to call

Use our form

Serious Injury To Children Claims - More Info
    • What’s The Process For Claiming Compensation?
    • After we’ve talked through your situation, we’ll be able to decide if your child’s injury was caused by someone else’s errors. If we believe that mistakes have been made, we will get evidence from medical experts to support your case.

      Specialist care is an important part of any serious injury claim. We’ll make sure that your child has access to the very best medical support while we continue with the case.

      When we calculate how much compensation your child needs, we’ll take into account their injuries, and the cost of the support they’ve had so far and will need in the coming months and years.

      We understand that the full implications of your child’s injury often won’t be immediately obvious. We’ll push for interim compensation payments to cover the cost of specialist care and support until we know the full extent of their injury. This means that they’ll receive a rehabilitation and compensation package which covers their needs for life, rather than getting a settlement that doesn’t reflect the long term consequences of the injury.

      Once we’ve worked out how much compensation your child needs, we’ll negotiate a settlement with the people responsible. If they disagree, we’ll begin court proceedings, where a judge will decide the outcome of the case – however, the majority of claims are settled out of court. Even if we do start proceedings, many cases still settle out of court before the hearing itself begins.

    • How Can Irwin Mitchell Help?
    • Our solicitors handle serious injury compensation claims every day, but we understand that no two cases are the same. We know that you’ll have plenty to deal with already, seeing doctors and specialists about your child’s injury.

      Every year we recover millions of pounds in compensation for people who have suffered serious injuries. Choose us for your child’s serious injury claim and you’ll benefit from:

      • An early investigation of who’s to blame for your child’s injuries
      • Access to specialist client liaison managers
      • Early compensation payments where possible to pay for private healthcare and rehabilitation
      • Help from specialist education law solicitors in our Public Law & Human Rights team
      • Advice on financial planning and personal injury trusts
      • Help accessing specialist rehabilitation and support services
    • Can I Get Interim Compensation Payments For My Child?
    • Yes, wherever possible we’ll seek interim payments until your child’s claim has finished. They could cover the costs of:

      • House adaptations (or moving to specially adapted purchased or rented accommodation)
      • Specialist equipment to aid your child’s rehabilitation
      • Professional care and support 

    • What Are The Time Limits For Making A Claim?
    • In most cases, you have up until your child’s 21st birthday to make a claim. However, there are circumstances where this time limit can be much shorter, such as where the accident took place abroad or in criminal injury cases.

      It’s always important to get legal advice as early as possible, no matter what the time limit is. This is so we can begin to investigate your child’s injury, gathering evidence and witness statements to best support your case.

    • Meet The Experts
    • We’re consistently ranked amongst the very best serious injury lawyers in the country by independent legal guides, who say we have a “very holistic approach … with a very good understanding of the lifelong consequences of such situations" (Chambers & Partners 2016).

I’m relieved that the legal action has ended, knowing that I can continue to improve my recovery by accessing specialist rehabilitation services which have helped me get this far"

Jaxx, client
Client Jaxx Cave

Frequently Asked Questions

What Types Of Accident Can I Claim Compensation For?

You can claim compensation for your child if they’ve been injured in an accident that wasn’t their fault. Some examples include:

  • Accidents at school, nursery or college
  • Accidents on holiday or abroad
  • Cycling accidents
  • Dog and other animal attacks
  • Farmyard accidents
  • Medical negligence
  • Playground accidents
  • Road traffic accidents
  • Slips, trips and falls
  • Swimming pool accidents

Our solicitors have specialist experience in all of these areas, so your child’s claim will be in safe hands with us. It’s important to contact us as soon as possible so that we can begin to investigate your case – especially if your child’s injury happened abroad where time limits are often shorter. Please phone us on 0800 056 4110 for a free initial consultation or get in touch online.

Read More... Read Less...

What Will Happen To My Child’s Compensation?

Your child’s compensation will be invested until they’re 18, during which time the funds will collect interest. The court may consider making earlier payments if you need to pay for things like a specific educational need or medical treatment.

If your child’s injury will affect their ability to deal with their finances as an adult, the funds will be managed by the Court of Protection, a legal body dedicated to helping those who lack the mental capacity to manage their own finances.

The Court of Protection will appoint a financial “deputy” – normally a close relative like a parent – to make sure that your child’s finances are properly taken care of. We have the largest Court of Protection department in the country, so we’re well-equipped to guide you through the process of managing your child’s compensation and appointing a deputy.

When your child reaches the age of 18, you might find that they’re no longer eligible for some means-tested benefits or funding because of the compensation they received. To make sure that this money isn’t taken into account when deciding their eligibility, you can put the compensation funds in a personal injury trust when they’re 18, protecting their future.

Money in a personal injury trust can only be accessed by trustees – normally the child themselves, the parents or a solicitor. Each trustee has to agree about the use of the trust’s funds. Our Court of Protection team can help you set up a personal injury trust for your child.

Read More... Read Less...

How Can You Help My Child Access Specialist Care And Support?

Our dedicated client liaison managers will meet with you to work out what kind of care and support you and your child need. Guiding you through the claims process, we’ll:

  • Assess your immediate and long term needs
  • Liaise with local care providers
  • Give you practical support with day-to-day issues
  • Monitor the progress of  your child’s rehabilitation
  • Advise you on benefit applications, reviews and appeals

In our Public Law team we also have specialist education solicitors who can also help with community care funding and educational challenges. We can:

  • Advise you on how to approach social services for the care and support your child needs
  • Act as an advocate on your behalf, putting forward your child’s case for care

We understand the importance of making sure your child’s future is secure. That’s why we’ll always aim to get them a rehabilitation and care package that suits their needs.

Read More... Read Less...

Awards & Recognition

Leading Firm - Legal 500 2017 Headway Head Injury Solicitor Accreditation 2018 UK Chambers & Partners Leading Firm 2018

What Our Clients Say

We truly value and appreciate the feedback we receive from our clients, as we look to improve the services we offer on an ongoing basis.

Read More Feedback

Our commitment to you.

We’re proud of our long-standing links with a number of serious injury charities. We support their campaigns for greater awareness of the issues faced by victims and their families. Some of the charities we support include:

  • Headway
  • Child Brain Injury Trust (CBIT)
  • Spinal Injuries Association (SIA)

Our Offices

Our offices are located in major cities throughout the UK and have excellent transport links.