Facing discrimination at work because you’re trans or non-binary is something no employee should have to deal with. Our discrimination lawyers are committed to upholding the rights of the LGBTQ+ community, and can offer you support and representation if you’ve been treated unfairly.
An employer could discriminate against you because of your gender identity by:
- Unfairly dismissing you
- Constructively dismissing you
- Choosing you for redundancy
- Overlooking you for promotion
- Harassing, bullying or victimising you
- Changing your duties or demoting you.
Gender reassignment is a protected characteristic listed in the Equality Act 2010, so you have the law on your side. Our experienced solicitors can help if you’ve been discriminated against.
If your employer has treated you badly because you’re trans or non-binary, our experienced discrimination solicitors could help. . Whether you need help going through the grievance process or representation at an Employment Tribunal, we’ll fight your corner to get you the outcome you deserve.
You can call us for informal advice from one of our experts, or simply fill in our online form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
What Services Do We Offer?
If you think you’ve been discriminated against but don’t know where to go for advice, give us a call to speak to one of our experts. They’ll talk to you about your situation and advise you where you could go next, should you want to move forward with your case.
- Support you if you want to make an informal complaint or go through your employer’s grievance process
- Negotiate with your employer to reach an out-of-court settlement
- Represent you at an Employment Tribunal, appeals and at court if your case progresses that far.
Our lawyers have a strong track record of settling workplace discrimination cases out of court. You’ll have our full support throughout the whole process, whether you need to go to court or not.
Who Can We Help?
We can help you if you’ve been treated unfairly because:
- You’re transgender or non-binary
- Someone has mistakenly identified you as transgender or non-binary (discrimination by perception)
- You’re connected to someone who is transgender or non-binary (discrimination by association)
You can make a claim whether or not you’ve undergone any gender-affirming surgery or other medical treatment.
If you’ve experienced discrimination, it probably falls into one of the following four categories:
- Direct Discrimination – when you’re treated worse than another person in a similar situation because you’re transgender. For example, if you’re a salesperson who comes out as trans, and your employer immediately stops allowing you to have contact with customers.
- Indirect Discrimination – when a rule or policy at your workplace puts transgender people at a disadvantage.
- Harassment – when someone makes you feel humiliated, offended or degraded because you are transgender. Examples of this would be bullying, intentional mis-gendering and deadnaming (intentionally using your old name if you now use a new one to match your gender identity).
- Victimisation – when you’re treated badly after making a complaint about gender reassignment discrimination, or supporting a colleague who has complained themselves.
Behaviour doesn’t have to be intentional to be discriminatory – call us today on 0207 650 3999 to find out more about how we can help if you’ve been affected.
Our lawyers have particular experience representing senior professionals, executives and directors. So no matter how large or corporate your place of work is, we’ll be able to help regardless.
Why Choose Us?
Workplace discrimination can be incredibly stressful and difficult to cope with. We offer support and guidance so you feel empowered to assert your rights, and will fight to get you the justice you deserve.
Our gender reassignment discrimination solicitors are committed to achieving the best possible outcome for you, and have years of experience dealing with employment discrimination cases. We’re also proud members of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions Programme, sharing their vision for a truly equal and inclusive workplace.
Our employment law team is recognised as one of the best in the UK, rated in both the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners. Our lawyers have a strong track record of getting the best possible outcome for the people they represent. This often involves securing financial compensation, protecting your reputation or making sure you get a positive reference for your next job.
We deal with all kinds of businesses, from large corporations to small independents – so we’ll be able to help no matter where you work. We pride ourselves on offering a supportive and compassionate service, and keep you in the loop every step of the way.
Call us on 0207 650 3999 to speak to one of our team about your discrimination claim.
Experienced gender reassignment discrimination lawyers
LGBTQ+ friendly – Stonewall Diversity Champions
Advice in plain English
Offices around the UK