Shah is head of the Employment and Professional Discipline team in London. His practice covers all areas of employment law, discrimination law and professional discipline. He is a recognised leader in representing executives and professionals in both contentious and non-contentious work.
He has also developed a good reputation in pursuing successful discrimination and whistleblowing cases against large corporations and public bodies. He has extensive experience of advising on regulatory issues including cases before the Financial Conduct Authority and the General Medical Council, and has a portfolio of key employer clients ranging from national charities, local authorities and companies. He is also an accredited mediator.
Shah is a former Board Member of the Discrimination Law Association and the Muslim Council of Britain’s Legal Affairs Committee. He is an active member of the Employment Lawyer’s Association.
He is the author of the Equal Opportunities chapter of Tolley’s Employment and Personnel Procedures and a former visiting lecturer at London Metropolitan University. He has spoken at conferences held by the Law Society, Employment Lawyers’ Association, National Council for Voluntary Organisations and the Discrimination Law Association.
Shah has been interviewed and quoted in the press including the Guardian, the Times, the Telegraph and the Independent. He has appeared on BBC Newsnight, BBC News, Channel 4 and Radio 5 Live to provide legal comment.
In 2022, Shah won the 'Achievements in Law' award at the British Muslim Awards.
- Quoted in Good Housekeeping on redundancy rights for furloughed employees
- Quoted in Wired discussing employers' statutory duty to conduct health and safety risk assessments for employees working from home
- Appeared on talkRADIO to comment on Priti Patel bullying investigation and Sir Philip Rutnam’s whistleblowing claim - listen to Shah on talkRADIO (skip to 11:45)
- Represented Sir Nicholas Mostyn, five other High Court judges, and a Court of Appeal judge in the successful age, sex and race discrimination challenge to the government’s new judicial pension scheme.
- Achieved a seven figure settlement in a whistleblowing claim for the Global General Counsel of a major bank.
- Successfully represented a female Managing Director in a sex discrimination claim against a US investment bank achieving a seven figure settlement.
- Acted for Terry Farr, a broker acquitted in the worldwide investigations into LIBOR manipulation. Represented Mr Farr in investigations by the Financial Conduct Authority and the US Department of Justice.
- Achieved a six figure settlement in a sex discrimination and harassment claim brought by the former Chief Executive of a barristers’ chambers
- Successfully represented Tim Nicholson, former Head of Sustainability at Grainger PLC, in establishing environmental beliefs and a belief in climate change are capable of protection under the UK’s equality laws.
- Advising a number of Chief Executives of Muslim charities on their employment rights and status.
Leading Individual - Band 4 - Chambers & Partners, 2022
"Shah Qureshi is a top lawyer, and has a terrific reputation in the industry." - Legal 500, 2022 (Leading Individual)
"He is very supportive, helpful and responsive, guiding the process with patience and sensitivity. "He's a good, smart lawyer. "He is a negotiating maestro." - Chambers & Partners, 2021 (Leading Individual - Band 4)
"Ranked as a Band 1 leader in the field." – Chambers & Partners, 2020
"…maintains a respected claimant-side practice advising employees on matters including discrimination and whistle-blowing claims and regulatory issues." Interviewees describe him as "a very pragmatic lawyer who is very personable, commercial and knowledgeable on the law." – Chambers & Partners, 2020
"Exceptional experience of claimant work and high-quality judgement." – Legal 500, 2020
"Emilie Cole, Shah Qureshi and Shazia Khan stand out for their exceptional client care and judgement." – Legal 500, 2020
"Shah Qureshi is hugely respected for his litigation experience and is also adept at handling claims of discrimination, dismissal and whistleblowing." – Chambers & Partners, 2018
"Combines a ‘very high level of competence and professionalism’ with an ‘absolute commitment to clients’... 'combining innovation with pragmatism and strong client-care skills’." – Legal 500, 2017
Shah qualified as a solicitor in 2002.
Gender Reassignment: Transgender Employment Rights -Where Are We Now? - a review of the current position of transgender rights in the workplace, January 2021
Ethical Veganism Is A Protected Philosophical Belief - a review of the employment tribunal decision in January 2020
Religion And Belief - Stoicism Now Considered A Philosophical Belief - a review of the employment tribunal decision in September 2020