Lawyers Asked To Investigate Man’s Mesothelioma Death Following Employment At Luton And Widnes Chemical Companies
The daughter of a former engineer from North London who died from asbestos cancer is appealing for information to help establish how he fell ill with the disease that claimed his life.
George Goddard, from Streatham, died from mesothelioma, a terminal cancer of the lining of the lungs most commonly associated with exposure to asbestos, often decades previously. He was 96.
Loved ones instruct legal team to make appeal into working conditions
Following his death, in October 2022, George’s daughter Sue Fuchter, 68, instructed expert asbestos-related disease lawyers Irwin Mitchell to investigate her dad’s illness and whether it could have been linked to his employment history.
Sue and her legal team are now appealing to her dad’s former colleagues for information on the working conditions he may have faced. In particular, they are seeking details from anyone who worked alongside George at Laporte Industries Limited in Luton or Barium Chemicals Limited in Widnes, Cheshire.
Expert Opinion“George’s death from mesothelioma continues to have a profound impact on his loved ones, particularly his daughters, Gillian and Sue, who are understandably very upset by the loss of their dad.
“It’s also a stark reminder of the terrible legacy left behind by asbestos, often in heavy industry, with the effects of the substance becoming known many years after initial contact.
“While nothing will bring George back, we’re supporting his daughters in obtaining the answers they deserve to honour their dad’s memory. As such, we would be grateful to hear from anyone who worked with George. Any details could prove vital to our investigation.” Lacey St James, Asbestos-Related Disease lawyer
Asbestos-related disease: George's story
George began his employment with Laporte Industries Limited in Luton in 1956 as an engineer. Sue recalled her dad would see customers on site in Luton and oversaw installation of aluminium tanks. He also visited manufacturers and supervised transit of tanks to Sweden.
In 1965, George was employed by Barium Chemicals Limited, which was also owned by Laporte Industries Limited. He worked at the base in Widnes for seven years. He began as a production manager before being promoted to works manager and remained there for seven years. The company sold barium sulphate as a side product which was made to go into foods.
Gillian and Sue said: “We remember it felt like the whole of Widnes smelled due to the chemicals coming from the factory, and dad would be given extra pay for new clothes as the smell wouldn’t come out of clothing.
“Even though he was a manager, he was very hands on with his work and would use a rotary kiln which had a refractory lining and reached temperatures of more than 1000 degrees celsius.”
Grandad-of-three falls ill aged 93
George retired from working in 1989. He was married to Betty a teacher, who died in September 2016, and had two daughters, Sue, 68 and Gillian, 70, and three grandchildren.
George remained fit and healthy until around 2019 when he was 93. He began to require input from carers.
In 2020, George was suffering from shortness of breath and fluid on the lungs. He underwent tests including a CT scan where a nodule on his lung was observed and was diagnosed with mesothelioma in August 2022. He was admitted to a nursing home the following day.
He died on 15 October, 2022.
Daughters pay tribute to 'best dad'
His daughters added: “Dad was always very fit and independent, even into his 90s, so we were really worried when he fell ill. He went downhill very quickly and even forgot how to play bridge which he had enjoyed for years. It was very difficult for us to see him like this.
“When we were told he had mesothelioma, was a huge surprise. To then be told that his work may have been to blame was another shock.
“He was the best dad and we still miss him every day. There’s nothing we can do to change what he went through, but the least we can do is get the answers he deserved.
“We would therefore appreciate it if anyone could help us.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact Lacey St James at Irwin Mitchell on 0203 040 3445 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org