A Number Of People Taken To Hospital After Consuming Pork Scratchings Made In Bolton
Specialist lawyers have expressed concerns after 179 people have reportedly fallen ill with gastric symptoms caused by Salmonella after eating pork scratchings produced by a Lancashire factory.
Of those affected by the Mr Porky products, a number are reported to have been taken to hospital with severe diarrhoea, vomiting and fever.
Supermarkets have now announced emergency recalls of the pork scratchings, which were made in Bolton at a factory run by the Tayto group, Britain’s largest snack producer. Public Health England and the Food Standards Agency have also urged people not to eat packets with a best-before date up to February 2022, reports the Mail Online.
Irwin Mitchell’s expert public health team supports people affected by illness outbreaks across the world including Salmonella such as the well-known outbreaks of Salmonella at the Real China restaurant and the Newcastle Spice Festival.
Expert Opinion“It is deeply concerning to hear that a number of people have fallen seriously ill after eating Mr Porky products.
Through our work, we often see the impact that illness such as Salmonella can have on people. It’s incredibly dangerous with a number of those affected going on to suffer long-term health problems and in some cases death.
We are pleased that a recall of the products has been announced. We would now urge that the company responsible for running the factory carries out a thorough investigation into how this happened and so others don’t fall ill in the future.
It’s also important that the people affected are given the care and support they require.”
Jatinder Paul - Senior Associate Solicitor