Lawyers Approached To Investigate Issues Following All-Inclusive Break
A couple hospitalised with serious gastric illness, shortly after a stay at the Riu Palace holiday resort in Cape Verde, have called on legal experts to help them gain answers regarding their “ordeal”.
Dennis Watson Williamson, 71, has revealed how he and his partner Cherrill Hartley, 69, developed symptoms including diarrhoea, vomiting and lethargy after returning from an all-inclusive stay at the resort in Boavista at the end of January.
The problems proved so severe that the couple from Cheadle, Cheshire, both required several days of treatment in hospital. Tests later confirmed that they were both suffering from Shigella, a form of dysentery usually contracted from contaminated water.
With some of the symptoms still persisting weeks on from the holiday, the pair has now approached Irwin Mitchell’s specialist International Serious Injury team to investigate their experiences and help them gain answers regarding what happened.
The specialist lawyers have vast experience of providing advice and support to holidaymakers who have been affected by a range of illness outbreaks at resorts and on cruise ships across the globe. The team has recovered millions of pounds in compensation from tour operators, including representing over 600 holidaymakers who were affected by illness at the Holiday Village Hotel in Turkey, and over 1,000 people who fell ill following holidays at the Bahia Principe in the Dominican Republic. The firm also notably acts for over 50 holidaymakers who suffered illness at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Egypt.
Hannah Clifford, Solicitor and expert international serious injury lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, who is representing Dennis and Cherrill, said: “We are hugely concerned by the issues that Dennis and Cherrill have faced since returning from their holiday and have commenced our investigations into what they have been through.
“A case of this nature is a clear reminder of why the importance of holiday illness issues should not be downplayed. Dennis and Cherrill’s symptoms have proved incredibly severe and have had a major impact on their life back in the UK.
“We are determined to ensure they get answers regarding what they have faced.”
Dennis, who is semi-retired and holds a company investment, and Cherrill, who is also semi-retired and occasionally works as an exam invigilator, booked their holiday, starting on 2 January, through First Choice. Dennis’s illness symptoms began during the flight home on 20 January.
He recalled: “I was in a really bad way and I sought medical advice within a few days of returning home. Some tests were carried out, but by the next day I knew I had to go to hospital. I had blood transfusions and antibiotics and wasn’t discharged until 4 February. It was horrendous.”
Dennis added “There were a few issues at the hotel which concerned me. For example, the food in the buffet restaurant was occasionally left uncovered.”
Cherrill faced similar issues, with her illness emerging on 25 January. She was taken to hospital by ambulance on the same day and while she was discharged on 31 January, she required further treatment from paramedics.
Dennis added: “The past few weeks have been an ordeal and we feel we deserve some answers as to what caused our illnesses and whether they could have been prevented.
“Nothing is going to change what we’ve been through, but we hope that taking this step might ensure lessons are learned and that no one else suffers like we have.”