Loved Ones And Lawyers Seek Information On Two Employers
The widow of a Stoke-on-Trent man who died from asbestos-related disease has joined with legal experts to appeal for his former workmates to come forward and provide vital answers regarding how he developed the illness.
Eric Baddeley died aged 77 on 25 June, 2018, a few months after he was diagnosed with lung cancer.
Following his death, Eric’s wife Josephine, 76, instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate his illnesses and help her determine whether the condition could be linked to his work history.
As part of their ongoing investigations, the legal experts are now seeking more information on whether Eric may have been exposed to asbestos during his employment with Babcock & Wilcox Ltd and James Kent Ltd in the 1960s.
Martha Barnes, asbestos-related disease specialist at Irwin Mitchell representing Josephine, said: “This case is unfortunately like a great number we are involved in, with Eric developing an asbestos-related illness many years after his exposure to the hazardous material is believed to have taken place.
“We are determined to help his family gain some answers regarding the working conditions he faced and whether these contributed to his death. We would be hugely grateful to anyone who may be able to come forward with information to support our efforts.
“Any detail regarding these employers could ultimately make a huge difference.”
Eric was employed at Fenton-based James Kent Ltd between 1962 and 1964. It is believed that the kilns he worked with may have contained asbestos.
Following his time there, Eric became an insulation worker and lagger with Babcock & Wilcox across 1965 and 1966. During his time with the Scottish company, he worked with asbestos on boilers at power stations, including Meaford, Rugeley and Drakelow.
His widow Josephine, 76, said: “It was absolutely heartbreaking to lose Eric and the whole family still misses him so much. I think about him every day.
“It was awful to see how lung cancer affected him in the final months of his life and we all just feel we deserve answers to confirm if the illness was caused by his exposure to asbestos.
“We would be hugely grateful to anyone who may be able to help us.”
Anyone with information which may assist with this case is asked to contact Martha Barnes at Irwin Mitchell’s Birmingham office on 0121 214 5210 or email martha.barnes@IrwinMitchell.com
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling asbestos-related disease cases