Seeking Information On Company And Working Conditions
A former production manager from Hull has instructed specialist lawyers to investigate how he came to develop an asbestos-related cancer.
Last year, 88-year-old Douglas Woodard was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a terminal cancer most commonly associated with being exposed to asbestos decades previously.
Douglas believes his asbestos exposure took place during his employment with Kingston Architectural Craftsmen, also known as Astral Caravans, Ace Caravan Company, and Cosalt Limited, also known as Abbey Caravans, all based in Hull and Grimsby.
Following his diagnosis, he instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how he became exposed to the deadly substance. He has now joined with his legal team to appeal to his former colleagues to come forward with any information they may have on the companies that employed Douglas and the working conditions experienced.
Expert Opinion“Mesothelioma is a horrible disease and Douglas really needs answers as to how he went on to develop the illness.
Through our work, we sadly see so many people affected by asbestos several decades after the initial exposure. In Douglas’ case, we are now seeking anyone that might have any information on the companies detailed above and the conditions they worked in so that we can provide Douglas with the answers he needs.”
Nicola Handley - Associate Solicitor
Douglas first began to show signs of being unwell last Summer when he developed a bad cough and suffered from breathlessness. His GP arranged for him to undergo investigations and fluid was found on his lungs. He was diagnosed with mesothelioma in July.
Douglas said: “I was so shocked to find out I had this illness. Up until then, I had been quite fit and healthy.
“I was enjoying my retirement and lived life to the full. I played regularly in a band and had just bought a new clarinet. I also enjoyed going to bowls, archery, fencing and table tennis. I have also been playing the saxophone for 75 years but I now find it very difficult to play any instruments due to being breathless.
“It is really upsetting to hear that my work could be to blame for me being so unwell, and while there is nothing I can do to change it, I need to know what the cause is.”
Douglas recalled while working for the caravan companies, he would see asbestos sheets around all of the factories quite frequently. It was practice to use the asbestos sheets for fire proofing purposes around the ovens and fires fitted in the caravans.
He added: “I can clearly remember working in the vicinity of these sheets being cut, drilled, fitted and fixed.
“The caravan industry was always a very pressured environment to work in, and therefore lots of dust was created while this work was being done.
“I would be grateful if any of my former colleagues would come forward and help.”
Anyone with any information that might be able to assist with this case is asked to contact Nicola Handley at Irwin Mitchell on 0113 220 6233 or by e-mail at Nicola.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling asbestos-related disease cases