Pair Diagnosed With Salmonella Shortly After Break At Icmeler Resort
A couple diagnosed with salmonella shortly after being hospitalised with illness during a stay at a Turkish holiday resort have called on lawyers to help them gain answers.
Stephen Amos, 52, from Cumbria, has revealed how he started to suffer with symptoms including stomach cramps, diarrhoea, a high temperature and nausea just days into a one week stay at the Hotel L’Etoile in Icmeler with wife Vicky, 52.
With the symptoms persisting, he was then admitted to a local hospital for treatment. Stephen was stunned when Vicky also began to develop similar symptoms and required hospital treatment and was also hooked up to a drip. Upon their return to the UK, the pair underwent tests which diagnosed that they both had salmonella, a serious bacterial infection.
Now, after instructing specialist lawyers in Irwin Mitchell’s International Personal Injury team to investigate what happened, the couple, from Penrith, have revealed how they hope to secure answers regarding what they had to endure.
The legal experts have vast experience of providing advice and support to thousands of people who have suffered injury and illness during holidays, helping them to access vital financial support to aid their recovery in the process. The team has recovered millions of pounds in compensation from tour operators, including representing over 600 holidaymakers who were affected by illness at the Holiday Village Hotel in Turkey, and over 1,000 people who fell ill following holidays at the Bahia Principe in the Dominican Republic. The firm also notably acts for over 50 holidaymakers who suffered illness at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel, Egypt.
Expert Opinion“The details provided by Stephen and Vicky are very worrying and we have started our investigations in to what happened.
This type of case is undoubtedly a clear reminder of the impact that gastric illnesses like salmonella can have, with Vicky and Stephen’s precious time abroad being ruined by the problems they had to face. The consequences to holidaymakers’ health can be really significant and unfortunately some people are left with long term symptoms.
We are determined to help them gain the answers they deserve in relation to their experience and hope that our efforts can ensure, where possible, that lessons can be learned so no one else suffers in a similar way in the future.
We would be interested in speaking to any other guests who have stayed at this hotel over the last few months to provide us with further information and eye-witness accounts of the issues reported at the hotel in order to assist us with our investigations.” Clare Pearson - Legal Executive - Associate
Stephen and Vicky’s holiday at Hotel L’Etoile, which was booked through Jet 2 Holidays Limited began on 6 October, 2019. Stephen’s illness started a few days later.
He recalled: “I began to really struggle with stomach cramps and was doubled over in agony. Then other symptoms like diarrhoea and sickness started. I then also started to suffer with shaking and shivering. It was horrendous.
“It became obvious I had to get treatment and I was taken to the hospital and put on a drip. When I was taken off the drip, I went to find Vicky – but was shocked to be told that she had also developed similar symptoms too. It has been a difficult time for us both and even now I don’t feel like either of us have made a full recovery yet.
I was disappointed with the food that was being served at the hotel, the omelettes at breakfast were occasionally runny and greasy. The serving spoons did not appear to be changed very often and sometimes there were flies around the food.
Both Stephen, a service engineer, and Vicky, a housewife, were eventually discharged from hospital with medication and they then underwent tests when they returned to the UK.
Stephen said: “I couldn’t believe it when we were diagnosed with salmonella. This was meant to be a relaxing holiday and it turned out to be anything but that. We’re fairly certain that we weren’t the only people who were ill too.
“We missed out on things, like an excursion to see the turtles and other trips and even when we got home things were not back to normal. Suffering illness on holiday was a nightmare. While nothing will change what happened, we just want to see steps taken so no one else faces what we have.”
Find out more on Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling holiday illness cases.