Investigation Launched Into Issues Linked To Site
Lawyers who specialise in supporting holidaymakers affected by illness outbreaks across the globe have launched an investigation after being contacted by 14 people who fell ill during stays at the Hotel Avalon on Zakynthos.
Irwin Mitchell’s specialist International Personal Injury team is investigating the issues faced by families whose breaks on the Greek island were affected by gastric illness.
They include a man from Urmston, Greater Manchester, who fell ill during wedding anniversary celebrations, as well as a Leicestershire man who was forced to miss parts of a family wedding in Zakynthos as a result of his symptoms.
Irwin Mitchell has vast experience in providing advice to those who have suffered such issues, helping them to secure not only answers but vital support to assist with their recovery from such problems.
Expert Opinion“We are concerned to have heard several first-hand accounts regarding the problems holidaymakers have faced at the Hotel Avalon and have now launched an investigation into what they have had to endure.
Illness issues of this nature should never be downplayed, as we have seen on numerous occasions how they can not only ruin precious time abroad and at special events like weddings, but also cause long-term health problems.
With this in mind, we are determined to support the families in any way we can. If during the course of our investigations any issues are identified, it is important that lessons are learned to prevent others facing similar issues.
As part of our investigations, we are keen to hear from anyone who may have information about conditions at Avalon Hotel in Zakynthos. ”
Hannah Clifford - Solicitor
Urmston Case Study
Delivery driver Michael Ashcroft, 61, from Urmston, booked his all-inclusive holiday at the Hotel Avalon via Jet2. His stay at the hotel, which was booked to mark his wedding anniversary with his wife Belinda, began on 4 August, 2019. However, he fell ill a few days after arriving at the hotel.
He recalled: “The stomach cramps and diarrhoea were just horrific and I was in a really bad way. I was completely devastated, particularly as this had all been arranged for us to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
“Some of the food seemed overcooked and I also noticed that some foods were served lukewarm. Lots of other people seemed to be ill and although the Jet2 representative seemed to know about the illnesses, we were not warned by anyone before we left the UK. I even spotted another guest vomit into a bin near to the swimming pool at one point. The whole experience was absolutely awful.
“While nothing will change what has happened, I just want to know whether enough was done to protect guests from the problems. This was meant to be a special break and I feel we deserve answers regarding what went on.”
Leicester Case Study
Another holidaymaker affected by illness problems at the Hotel Avalon was Jon Wright, 58, from Leicester, who also booked his trip through Jet2. He stayed at the hotel with his family including partner Amanda, 51 in the middle of August 2019, with all of them heading to the region to attend a wedding at another hotel.
Jon, a self-employed alarm engineer, said: “From the moment we arrived I was not happy with various issues, but as it was meant to be a holiday I tried to ignore certain things. However, it quickly became clear that some of the food was inedible and after eating at the hotel I started to feel very unwell.
“I slept as long as I could before I had to get ready for the wedding. Then I went to the ceremony, posed for some pictures and then got a taxi back to the hotel so I could go to bed. I did not even get to have dinner. I was annoyed as the wedding was one of the key reasons why I was even there in the first place.
“Even when I did get out of the room it seemed that most people had been ill at some point. I have never looked forward to returning home from a holiday, until this one.
“What scares me the most is that we nearly took my father to the wedding. He is in his 80s and I worry about the impact that the illness could have had on him.”