Norovirus Recorded As Cause Of Death Following Inquest Hearing
The family of a woman who died shortly after she developed norovirus during a stay at a Scottish hotel last year have revealed their hope that lessons can be learned following the conclusion of the inquest into her death.
Norma Francis, from Gnosall, died aged 79 on April 6th 2016 shortly after she had returned home early from the Loch Achray Hotel in the Trossachs region as a result of the serious gastric illness symptoms she was suffering from.
The Coroner Mr Andrew Haigh said her death was caused by the Norovirus infection at the inquest held into her death at Stafford Coroners Court this week. The hotel simply arranged for her and her husband John to be taken home early by taxi due to her illness. Mr Haigh said that there had been an element of pressure put on the couple by the hotel to return home early to Stafford from Scotland in a taxi. There was also no record that Mrs Francis was medically assessed before the journey home.
Upon their return home on April 6th, Norma was found unconscious and taken by ambulance to Stafford A&E where she died.
Following Norma’s death, her family instructed Irwin Mitchell’s Public Health team to investigate what happened to her. Now, upon the conclusion of the inquest, the lawyers have revealed their determination to ensure that her loved ones get the justice they deserve.
Clare Comiskey, an Associate Public Health lawyer at Irwin Mitchell who is acting for the family, said:
Expert Opinion“The details heard at this inquest were very upsetting for the family.
“Following this hearing, we are now determined to help our clients get the justice they deserve regarding the many issues which have been identified in relation to Norma’s death.
“It is vital that lessons are learned from this case and it must serve as a reminder to hotels and similar businesses of the importance of always ensuring the safety of patrons is their top priority.” Clare Comiskey - Legal Executive & Associate
Norma and her husband John travelled to the Loch Achray Hotel as part of a coach trip arranged through Loch and Glens Holidays. While their stay from April 2nd was arranged to last for seven days, they were only three days in when she began to develop symptoms.
Norma’s daughter Anne Francis said: “We all miss Mom a great deal and it has been incredibly difficult to hear of the issues that her and Dad faced during their stay at the hotel.
“We are now determined to continue with our legal battle to gain justice regarding Mom’s death, but this is undoubtedly about more than money.
“No one should have to go through the issues that she faced and we are determined to ensure that lessons can be learned so there is never any repeat of these problems. The health and wellbeing of hotel guests should always be top of the agenda for such businesses.”
Read more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in norovirus claims.