Food poisoning on holiday abroad
A family from Telford in Shropshire have described how their dream holiday to the Dominican Republic was ruined after the whole family suffered severe food poisoning.
Edwina Boardman (42), her partner Derek Tongue (45) and their 16 year-old daughter Toni (16) came down with illness during their stay at the Barcelo Premium in the Dominican Republic during April this year.
Both Edwina and Derek fell ill on the third day of their holiday, whilst Toni fell ill on the fifth day. The whole family suffered from severe stomach cramps with very unpleasant symptoms including diarrhoea and vomiting.
Mrs Boardman said:
"Every single night the whole hotel stunk of sewage. Every single time you smelt it, it made you feel worse. I didn't think that the food we were served was heated thoroughly enough and there were even birds flying around the restaurant as we ate."
On her return from holiday Edwina visited her GP and tests confirmed she had contracted Salmonella.
Holiday food poisoning solicitor
David Sumner, travel solicitor at Irwin Mitchell Solicitors, said "Every year we act for clients who have suffered food poisoning on holiday as a result of poor Health and Hygiene conditions at hotels. Basic Health and Hygiene procedures can reduce the risk of contracting illness whilst on holiday."
Making a compensation claim for food poisoning abroad
If you have been affected by food poisoning on holiday, we may be able to help you take legal action against your hotel or tour operator.
Irwin Mitchell have unparalleled experience in dealing with holiday food poisoning cases, helping victims claim thousands in compensation.
Fill in our online claims form here for free advice.