Irwin Mitchell acted on behalf of a couple who fell ill whilst staying at the Riu Palace Hotel in 2006.
Our specialist International Personal Injury team worked with Mr and Mrs Blakelock who travelled to Bulgaria to celebrate their honeymoon. Unfortunately the pair fell ill within the first week of their holiday and their special trip was ruined as a result.
Mr Blakelock fell ill first, suffering from severe diarrhoea and stomach pain. He later experienced an episode of vomiting. Mrs Blakelock fell ill shortly after with similar symptoms.
The newlyweds reported their illness to their tour representative and noted that there were other guests who were ill with the same symptoms.
The couple continued to suffer from their illness on their return to the UK and consequently visited their GP. Mr Blakelock tested positive for Salmonella and even after treatment, the duo continued to suffer with developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
Following negotiations with our lawyers, TUI UK Limited (trading as Thomson) admitted responsibility for the illness and settled the claims for £23,500.
Mr and Mrs Blakelock, said: “Although no amount of money will ever bring back the time that we lost or the illness we continue to suffer, we are happy that TUI UK Limited have now admitted liability and have agreed to pay compensation.
“We thank Irwin Mitchell for all their hard work as this is a very good result for us.”
If you've suffered food poisoning on holiday, our personal injury solicitors could help you claim compensation. Visit our Holiday Food Poisoning Claims page for more information.
Back to Client Stories