Call us on
0800 056 4110
Our holiday illness solicitors helped to secure a five-figure sum for a man who fell ill during his stay at the Daiquiri Hotel in Cuba in 2011.
He was at the four-star hotel for a two week break with his wife but had complaints about the quality of the hygiene standards at the hotel. Our client advised that food was sometimes served undercooked, some of the public areas in the hotel were in a dirty condition and on one occasion he witnessed a chef leaving the toilet without washing his hands.
Our client suffered severe diarrhoea, vomiting and stomach cramps during the two week stay at the hotel. He continued to suffer illness upon his return home.
The tour operator admitted liability for our client’s illness shortly after issuing of proceedings. Despite this, we had to proceed to a trial as a suitable settlement could not be agreed with Thomas Cook.
The case was heard at the County Court in Birmingham, in June 2014, where a judge ordered that the tour operator should pay a five-figure sum to our client.
Clare Comiskey, an international travel law expert at Irwin Mitchell’s Birmingham office, said: “Paul went through a horrific experience with severe illness and he has been left upset by the illness he suffered on what was meant to be a relaxing holiday.
"Gastric illness can be very debilitating and as Paul’s case shows, can result in serious, long-term consequences."
If you or loved one has suffered from food poisoning whilst on holiday, our personal injury lawyers could help you to claim compensation. Visit our Holiday Food Poisoning Claims page for more information.
Back to Client Stories
Simply complete the form below and one of our experts will get back to you.
This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.
Contact us today
For a free initial consultation
Use our form
Request A Call Back
Enter your details below and we'll call you back, at a time of your choice.