Irwin Mitchell’s leading International Personal Injury team have been successful in recovering almost £120,000 in damages from Balkan Holidays Limited for 16 holidaymakers, including eight children, who stayed at the Royal Park Hotel in Bulgaria in September 2010.
The holidaymakers complained about the quality of the accommodation and the poor hygiene standards in the restaurant. Some food was left uncovered for long periods of time, occasionally flies were seen on dishes and sometimes cockroaches were seen in the restaurant area and in hotel rooms.
The guests suffered with serious gastric symptoms such as diarrhoea, vomiting, stomach cramps and lethargy. Some of the holidaymakers continue to suffer with these symptoms which are now likely to be permanent.
The Defendant, Balkan Holidays Limited, admitted liability which allowed or experts to quantify the losses incurred by the holidaymakers. Following negotiations, and Court approval for the infant settlements in the group, we successfully recovered nearly £120,000 in damages for the group. The holidaymakers were very pleased with the result and appeared in numerous publications to highlight their plight including The Sun.
In relation to the case, one of our clients said: “We will never forget the ordeal but hopefully we can draw a line under it and move on. We hope nobody else has to experience what we, as a family, had to go through on that holiday to Bulgaria.”
If you or loved one has suffered from food poisoning whilst on holiday, our personal injury claims team could help you to secure compensation. Visit our Holiday Food Poisoning Compensation page for more information.
Back to Client Stories