Call us on
0800 056 4110
Irwin Mitchell has recently represented a case whereby the patient coughed up a surgical component 4 years after their operation.
The 71 year old male, began to experience neuropathy in 2006. Upon diagnoses, spinal surgery was subsequently performed at the Leeds General Infirmary, consisting of a vertebrectomy, insertion of a Synex C-cage and Vectra T-plate.
Some years later, the Vectra T-plate was removed during exploratory surgery of the vertebrectomy as the man had an ongoing infection. The cage was left in place however.
It transpired that the cage had not in fact been integrated into the residual vertebral body.
The man suffered difficulties with his speech and swallowing. Investigations for this included a Barium swallow (medical imaging procedure), which revealed that the cage had dislocated. No follow up action was taken.
In 2010, the man coughed up the cage after it had eroded the wall of his pharynx, causing him to suffer pain and distress. The man continues to have difficulty with swallowing certain types of foods, caused as a result of coughing up the cage.
With the help of Liam Riley from the clinical negligence team at Irwin Mitchell, the man brought a claim against the Trust responsible for the failure to identify the problems with the cage. The claim was settled out of Court for a four figure sum.
If you or a loved one has suffered due to a surgical error or negligence, our medical negligence solicitors could help you claim compensation. Visit our Surgery Claims page for more information.
Back to Client Stories
Simply complete the form below and one of our experts will get back to you.
This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.
Contact us today
For a free initial consultation
Use our form
Request A Call Back
Enter your details below and we'll call you back, at a time of your choice.