In this case, our clients were 45 holidaymakers who stayed at the Kaya Hotel in Side, Turkey in 1997.
During their holidays, a breakdown in food hygiene procedures at the all-inclusive hotel caused 38 of them to fall victim to gastric illness. Stool tests confirmed that 3 of them were infected with giardia and 9 were later diagnosed as having permanent Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), which was caused by the original gastric infections picked up during the holidays.
JMC Holidays Ltd admitted they were at fault and after settlement negotiations we recovered compensation of more than £239,000 for our clients. The most seriously ill of our clients was awarded over £20,000.
Mr and Mrs C and their 2 children went to the Kaya Hotel with in May / June. Just 2 days into the holiday Mrs C started showing symptoms of a nasty gastric illness, with Mr C and their daughter falling ill soon after. Their son was the only member of the family not to fall ill but, since his holiday was totally ruined, we were able to negotiate an award of just over £1,800. Their daughter recovered after 11 days of illness and she recovered just over £2,800. Unfortunately, Mrs C suffered mild IBS for nearly 6 years after the holiday and Mr C developed permanent IBS.
Medical experts said that their IBS was caused by the original gastric infections picked up during the holiday. Mrs C was awarded just over £7,000. Mr C accepted an award of over £10,000.
If you or loved one has suffered from food poisoning whilst on holiday, our personal injury claims team could help you to secure compensation. Visit our Holiday Food Poisoning Compensation page for more information.
Back to Client Stories