Georgie advises on the protection, exploitation and infringement of IP rights worldwide. She helps clients develop their IP strategies, focusing on risk and reputation management.
She has significant experience in relation to the strategic management of global brands, including trade mark and domain name portfolio management and has advised many global corporates and household names on their worldwide trade mark matters.
Georgie is known for her expertise in dealing with international and cross border IP disputes. She advises on forum shopping, identifying favourable jurisdictions for rights owners to bring proceedings or to defend proceedings. Georgie is the author of Sweet & Maxwell’s The Trade Mark Handbook, 'Civil Court Procedures in Trade Mark Cases', and is a regular speaker at conferences in the UK and US on a range of IP issues.
She has been recognised for many years as a ‘leading individual’ in Chambers and Partners.
As part of Irwin Mitchell's role as Official Legal Services Provider of the World Para Athletics Championships London 2017, Georgie provided IP and brand protection support.
Georgie qualified as a Solicitor in 1998.
- Acting for Capita PLC and its related companies on its global brand protection strategy, protection and enforcement of its trade mark portfolio.
- Acting for the Law Society in relation to its brand protection, dealing with the enforcement of its various names, logos and copyright protected content.
- Advising a leading software company in relation to proceedings concerning the misuse of confidential information, copyright and database rights by former employees and officers.
- Advising TV presenter and a former Paralympic gold medal winner in relation to his image rights and the IP protection and enforcement of a TV graphic system that simplifies Paralympic disability classification.
- Successfully defending five defendants in injunctive proceedings concerning patent infringement and passing off relating to a medical device.
- Acting for numerous clients in various internet related cases such as domain name disputes, website fraud and abuse and advertising and marketing issues arising out of key word sponsoring across Europe.
"Georgie Collins is enthusiastic, energetic, commercially minded, fights her client’s corner and has wide experience in the IP sector." - Legal 500, 2022
Leading Individual - Band 4 - Chambers & Partners, 2022
"Georgie Collins is always deeply committed to her clients’ cause, hard-working, determined, commercially minded and with loads of experience across the sector." – Legal 500, 2021
"Working with Georgie is an absolute pleasure. She knows her stuff and is very good at judging proportional responses to situations that arise... She understands clients from a commercial point of view and inspires a massive amount of confidence." – Chambers & Partners, 2021 (Leading Individual – Band 4)
"She is energetic, enthusiastic and very hard-working." – Chambers & Partners, 2020
"She's accessible and responsive, and you always get a clear view from her." – Chambers & Partners, 2018
Georgie is "dynamic and proactive" – Legal 500 2016
"Georgie Collins of Irwin Mitchell is rated highly by sources for her command of copyright, database right, domain name and trade mark law." – Chambers & Partners 2016