Call us Free on 0800 056 4110
Criminal Injury Compensation Claims

Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) FAQ

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) is a government body that runs a compensation scheme for the victims of violent crime in England, Scotland or Wales. It was set up to help those who have been physically or mentally injured as the victim of criminal violence.

If you've been the victim of an assault or attack, then it's likely you will need to use the CICA's compensation scheme to make a claim for compensation. As with many government schemes, CICA claims can be difficult to navigate, so our solicitors have put together answers to some of the questions we hear most frequently.

If your question isn't answered below, please don't hesitate to contact us on 0800 056 4110, or online, for a free consultation, and we'll be happy to help.

How Do I Make A Claim Through The CICA?

Claims can be made online though the CICA website. You can't just download a form and fill it in – you'll need to speak to someone to discuss your claim first. If you meet their requirements, you'll be able to claim.

Back to top

Do I Need A Solicitor?

You can make a claim on your own, but having legal representation can really help, as it can be quite a complicated process. We'll assist you with gathering evidence and submitting your claim, as well as appealing any decisions that you disagree with.

If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries as a result of a violent crime, it is advisable to have legal representation.

Back to top

What Are The Requirements For Claiming?

You could be eligible to make a CICA claim if:

  • You reported the incident to the police, without any delay
  • The incident happened in England, Wales or Scotland
  • The incident happened within the last two years (though there are exceptions to this rule, made on a case-by-case basis)
  • Your injuries are serious enough to meet the minimum award of £1,000

If you think you should be able to claim through the scheme, but you've been rejected, then this is also something we may be able to help with.

Back to top

What Can I Claim For?

You can claim for a compensation payment that's based on the type and severity of the injury you've suffered.

The scheme is tariff based – which means there are specific thresholds with specific award amounts attached. The tariff is split into two parts, A and B.

Part A covers injuries such as:

  • Burns
  • Paralysis
  • Mental injury
  • Sensory nerve damage
  • Motor nerve damage
  • Head and neck injuries
  • Injuries to the torso or limbs

The compensation you can receive for injuries covered by part A ranges from £1,000 to the maximum award of £250,000.

Part B of the tariff covers different conditions often related to abuse, including:

  • Physical abuse in adults
  • Sexual abuse
  • Child abuse

You can also claim for infections caused by sexual abuse. Part B also covers fatal injuries. You can receive between £1,000 and £44,000 in this part of the scheme.

You can’t claim for property damage, private medical fees, or loss of earnings through the CICA.

For more information, check the CICA website.

Back to top

What's The Process? Will I Have To Go To Court?

No. Claims to the CICA are made through an online application. If we don't agree with the outcome, then there is an appeal process which could result in a hearing before a panel of judges at a tribunal. If we do need to appeal, our experienced lawyers will be there to support you every step of the way.

Back to top

Can I Make A No Win No Fee Claim?

Yes. Claims we make through the CICA are generally funded with a No Win No Fee arrangement, which means you don't have to pay anything if you're unsuccessful. If you do receive a settlement, then part of it will be used to cover any legal fees.

Back to top

Can I Get Any Financial Help While My Claim Is Ongoing?

In some circumstances, you may be able to apply for a payment to help you cover short-term costs while your case is concluded. If this is something you need, we'll discuss it at the beginning of your claim, and help you apply for it.

Back to top

Contact Us

We offer a free consultation before you make a claim, so if you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to get in touch on 0800 056 4110, or contact us online and we'll get back to you.

Contact us today

For a free initial consultation

Prefer not to call?

Use our form

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

Start Your Claim Today

To begin your claim for compensation, or ask any questions regarding personal injury claims, contact us today for a free consultation.

This data will only be used by Irwin Mitchell for processing your query and for no other purpose.

© 2019 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.