0370 1500 100

Family Of Scaffolder Who Died 10 Days After Cancer Diagnosis Appeal To Former Workmates For Help

Bid To Provide Loved Ones With ‘Vital Answers’ Regarding Asbestos Exposure


Dave Grimshaw, Press Officer | 0114 274 4397

The family of a scaffolder who died just ten days after he was diagnosed with an asbestos-related cancer is appealing for help in establishing what caused the disease that claimed his life.

David Haines was diagnosed with terminal mesothelioma last year, with doctors predicting he could have two years to live.

However, his condition deteriorated so rapidly that, just ten days later, he died aged 72 in Bristol Royal Infirmary.

Mesothelioma is caused by exposure to asbestos but it takes decades for the symptoms to develop. David’s family has now instructed specialist industrial disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how he came into contact with the hazardous material.

David’s family and his legal team at Irwin Mitchell are now appealing to David’s former workmates for help in providing ‘vital answers’ about his asbestos exposure.

Expert Opinion
David’s death just 10 days after his diagnosis sadly highlights the devastating consequences that being exposed to asbestos, often decades previously, can have and how rapidly a person’s condition can deteriorate.

“Sadly David was never able to provide full details of how he came into contact with the harmful material. The speed at which the mesothelioma claimed the life of a much-loved husband and dad has a profound effect on Sheila and the rest of the family.

“We would appeal for anyone who remembers working with David, especially colleagues at Portishead Power Station, to come forward and help David’s family gain the vital answers as to what caused his cancer.”
Virginia Chalmers, Partner

David worked as a scaffolder across Bristol and on oil rigs. It is believed David came into contact with asbestos whilst he was employed as part of a team to remove and replace the roof of the Portishead Power Station in the 1970s.

His family, including widow Sheila, are particularly keen for anyone who worked with David at the power station to come forward with information about working conditions on the site.

David lived in the St Philips area of Bristol with Sheila, 79. He died on 5 March, 2017.

Before his death David told his daughter, Lorraine, that he was not given a mask or protective clothing to wear throughout the power station roof works. He also described the work as a very dirty and dusty job. 

Sheila said: “Because David’s condition went downhill very quickly I feel as though I never got the chance to say goodbye to him properly.  He was very ill and to see David slip away from me was heartbreaking.”

Lorraine, 51, added: “The course of dad’s illness was shockingly fast. There was only ten days between his diagnosis and death. He was very ill at the time and we had very little chance to discuss his work history.

“Our family have been left devastated by dad’s death. We just want to know how dad came into contact with asbestos which caused to him develop this disease.”

Any former colleagues of David’s or anyone who worked on the Portishead Power Station roof project in the 1970s should contact Virginia Chalmers at Irwin Mitchell’s Bristol office on 0117 926 1514 or email Virginia.chalmers@irwinmitchell.com

Read more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling asbestos related disease cases.