Appeal Launched For Ex-Colleagues To Help Fight For Justice
The family of a former crane assembler from Sheffield who died from asbestos-related cancer has launched an appeal for his ex-workmates to come forward with information about how he may have been exposed to the deadly material.
Father-of-eight Michael Reilly died aged 81 in December 2014 less than a month after he was first diagnosed with mesothelioma – a cancer of the lining of the lung almost always associated with exposure to asbestos. Michael was born in Belfast but lived in Shiregreen for most of his life until 2005 when he moved to Chapeltown, Sheffield.
Following his death, his son Patrick instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate how he came to develop the illness and whether more could have been done to prevent it.
As part of their ongoing investigations, they are keen to hear from anyone who may have information regarding whether Michael could have come into contact with asbestos during his time working for Sir William Arrol during the 1960s.
Prior to his death, Michael recalled working at many sites including power stations such as Hinkley Point, Dungeness and Ferrybridge, as well as industrial environments such as Parkgate Iron and Steel in Rotherham, and foundries in Sheffield.
Katrina London, Senior Associate and asbestos-related disease specialist at Irwin Mitchell who is representing Michael’s family, said:
Expert Opinion“Asbestos has had a huge impact on so many lives, with exposure to the material so often being linked to work in industrial environments and in construction.
“We would be hugely grateful to anyone who may be able to shed light on how Michael may have been exposed to asbestos during his time with Sir William Arrol.” Katrina London - Senior Associate Solicitor
Michael worked for Sir William Arrol – which was taken over by Clarke Chapman in 1968 – between 1961/62 and 1969/70. The company built cranes and his role was to assemble the cranes on site.
Michael assembled part of the crane at ground level on site and then worked at height to complete the assembly.
Patrick Reilly, 53, said: “Dad was a huge presence in all our lives and the entire family misses him so much.
“Before he passed away he mentioned how he often came into contact with asbestos during his work, particularly in power stations and factories. He remembered pipework that was lagged in asbestos which was in a poor state of repair and often pieces were hanging down.
“While nothing will bring Dad back we just want some closure in terms of how he developed his illness. Any help on the matter would be hugely appreciated.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact Caoimhe Sykes at Irwin Mitchell’s Manchester office on 0161 259 1552 or email Caoimhe.Sykes@IrwinMitchell.com.
Read more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in mesothelioma claims.