0370 1500 100

Lichfield Hotel Fined After 33 Wedding Guests Suffer Food Poisoning

Public Health Lawyers React To Guilty Court Verdict


Oliver Wicks, Press Officer | 0114 274 4649

A hotel in Lichfield has been fined for food hygiene offences after 33 wedding guests became ill after eating contaminated pate.

Expert Public Health lawyers at Irwin Mitchell have said that the fine sends a clear message that the highest standards of hygiene must be met otherwise they run the risk of reputational and financial damage.

In May 2015, guests attending a wedding at the Best Western George Hotel on Bird Street were served chicken liver pate which was found to be contaminated with campylobacter which is a serious bacterial infection which can cause significant and long term health complications.

Many of the guests, including a child, were unwell and one was so ill they had to be hospitalised.

The investigation from Lichfield District Council and Public Health England found that ‘the chicken liver pate had not been safely produced, temperatures had not been monitored and there were no written procedures for its production in place'. There were further issues raised including poor staff record keeping and a lack of hand towels and soap in the staff toilet.

The George Hotel confirmed in Court that the staff responsible for cooking the wedding breakfast no longer worked at the hotel, and that it no longer made its own pate.

Public Health lawyers at Irwin Mitchell have vast experience of representing those who have fallen ill as a result of illness outbreaks in the UK and abroad including 280 people who fell ill at a Toby Carvery restaurant in Exeter and dozens of those who fell ill following the national outbreak of Salmonella in 2014, including some of whom who sadly lost their lives.

 Amandeep Dhillon, a Partner and expert Public Health Lawyer at Irwin Mitchell has said that the Court’s verdict sends a clear message.

If you or a loved one has suffered food poisoning due to poor hygiene standards, our personal injury solicitors could help you claim compensation. Visit our Food Poisoning Compensation Claims page for more information.

Expert Opinion
“The admission of guilt from the hotel and the subsequent fine sends a clear message that health and safety standards simply cannot be compromised when you are working in the food industry.

“We have worked with thousands of people who have fallen ill as a result of outbreaks of food poisoning, both in the UK and abroad, seeing first-hand the impact gastric illness can have on the victims’ day-today lives and their long-term health.

“It is clear that lessons have been learnt after the incident and it was imperative that the hotel and restaurant took clear and decisive steps to ensure there would not be a repeat of the issues.

“However, nothing changes the fact that a special day was ruined for a large number of people due to hygiene problems that could and should have been prevented.”
Amandeep Dhillon, Partner

© 2017 Irwin Mitchell LLP is Authorised & Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our Regulatory Information.