0370 1500 100

Asbestos Death Leaves Heartbroken Family Battling For Answers

Industrial Illness Experts Appeal To Former Colleagues For Information


The widow of a former Wolverhampton carpenter who died of an asbestos-related disease just two days after Christmas is appealing to his former workmates to get in touch with information as she launches a battle to find answers about her devastating loss.

John Lowe, also known as Jack at work, died on 27 December 2010 aged 76 after battling asbestosis (a scarring of the lung tissue) for several months, leaving his wife Elsie and two grown-up children devastated.

The family, from Coseley in Dudley, have instructed industrial illness experts at law firm Irwin Mitchell to help find answers about where and why John was exposed to asbestos so they can begin to come to terms with his unexpected death.

The firm would like to hear from any of John’s former colleagues at Kay-Bevan Homes Ltd where he was sub-contracted to work as Elsie believes he may have come into contact with asbestos during his time working as a carpenter for them between 1967 and 1973.

Satinder Bains, an industrial illness expert at Irwin Mitchell’s Birmingham office representing John’s loved ones, said: “John’s family have been left heartbroken by his unexpected death and cannot begin to terms with it until they have answers.

“Elsie remembers John working as a carpenter for Kay-Bevans Homes and believes he may have come into contact with asbestos during this time, particularly when he worked at the Fairlodge on Wellington Road in Newport, Salop in 1973.

“Asbestosis is an aggressive lung condition which left a previously fit man seriously ill and in a great deal of pain. His death, just two days after Christmas, was particularly tragic for his family.

“I’m appealing to anyone with information about the company and the sites staff were contracted to work on between 1967 and 1973 to get in touch, as they may hold vital evidence about the presence of asbestos and the company’s working practices that could bring much needed answers for the family.”

John began suffering from shortness of breath and a terrible cough in 2006 to 2007. After visiting his GP an X-ray revealed he had scarring on his lungs and a lung abscess.

Following his death an inquest held at The Black Country Coroner’s District in April 2011 found the cause of death to be pneumonia and lung scarring as a result of exposure to asbestos.

Elsie, 77, said: “John was relatively fit for his age before he became ill and loved spending time gardening and doing DIY.

“His death was heartbreaking for the whole family, particularly with it being so close to Christmas and we still find it hard to accept he’s no longer with us. By the end, he was so poorly, even the smallest of tasks left him exhausted.

“Until we get answers about where he came into contact with asbestos and why he became ill we can’t begin to look to move forward with our lives. I just hope anyone that remembers working with him gets in touch as they may have vital information that mean we can get justice for his death.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Satinder Bains on 0370 1500 100 or email Satinder.bains@irwinmitchell.com

If you or a loved one has developed asbestosis following exposure to asbestos, our expert asbestosis solicitors could help you to claim compensation. See our Asbestos-Related Disease Claims Guide for more information.