0370 1500 100

Daughter Speaks Of Relief After Asbestos Case Against Restaurant Settles

Industrial Illness Lawyers Secure Settlement For Devastated Family


The devastated daughter of a former waiter at an iconic London restaurant who died of an asbestos related disease has spoken of her relief after agreeing a settlement in the case which was due to go to trial this week.

Miltiades Charalambous, known as Milton, died aged 70 of mesothelioma, an asbestos-related cancer, on 8 March 2010, just two months after being diagnosed with the disease. He left behind his distraught wife Nedi, three children and nine grandchildren.

His family believes Milton was exposed to asbestos dust whilst working in the basement of London’s iconic kosher restaurant, Bloom’s on Whitechapel High Street, when he would stand near an old boiler, sorting the linen.

An inquest into his death in September 2010 confirmed Milton died as a result of mesothelioma and his daughter Helen Michael contacted industrial illness specialists at law firm Irwin Mitchell to help with her battle for justice.

But the famous Bloom’s restaurant, where Milton worked for over 30 years, denied the exposure took place on their premises resulting in the matter going to trial. Asbestos specialists at Irwin Mitchell were able to negotiate a settlement on the morning the trial was due to begin of £70,790.

Nicola Maier, an asbestos related disease expert at Irwin Mitchell represented the family. She said: “The last 18 months have been very difficult for Milton’s family as they’ve struggled to come to terms with their loss.

“He was a larger than life character and they’ve all been left devastated by his sudden and unexpected death.

“The settlement secured today means the family will be provided for and they can now start to move forward with their lives knowing there has been some justice for the huge loss they suffered.”

The married father-of-three and grandfather-of-nine emigrated from Cyprus to Finsbury Park in the mid 60s and began working at Bloom’s as a waiter, where one of his jobs involved folding laundry in the boiler room.

Judge Martin McKenna at London's High Court, was given statements on behalf of the family which claimed “the atmosphere in the basement was dusty and contaminated with asbestos fibres".

Milton’s daughter, Helen Michael, said: “We were all absolutely devastated at dad’s sudden death and we were desperate for answers as to who was responsible for him coming into contact with asbestos.

“He loved working at Blooms restaurant and being part of what he described was an institution in the local community.

“We’re relieved that my father’s case has now been settled and we can share our memories of him without this hanging over us.”