0370 1500 100

Asbestos Experts Help Painter In Battle For Justice

Man Seeks Answers Over Illness


Painter and decorator, Stephen Warren, (58) has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, an aggressive cancer of the chest lining caused by exposure to asbestos.

Married, with two young children, and now living in Exeter, Stephen had worked for a large Painting and Decorating company based in Bristol for almost twenty years.

From 1968 through to 1987, he worked on hospital, banks, newly constructed council properties and private homes throughout the South West.

Before Stephen could commence painting, he needed to prepare the area and often had to clear away debris and asbestos dust left behind by other workers. He also regularly worked near to other tradesmen who were removing and replacing asbestos.

Satpal Singh, from the Bristol office of Irwin Mitchell Solicitors, who is representing Mr Warren in his legal battle for justice explained: “From 1898 to 1912 there were consistent references to asbestos and its injurious effects in the Annual Reports prepared and published by the Chief Inspector of Factories.  From the early 1900’s there was an ever growing body of legislation and authoritative published guidance on the dangers of asbestos.  Accordingly, by the time of Stephen’s exposure to asbestos in the 1960’s, there was absolutely no excuse for failing to protect him”. 

“However, Stephen’s employer never warned him about these dangers or provided him with breathing equipment which could have protected him.

“As there can be a delay of 20 years or more, between exposure and the onset of symptoms, many workers like Stephen are only now making the terrible discovery that their health has been affected because of exposure to asbestos.

“These workers had a basic right to go to work and earn a living without having their health put at risk.

“Although nothing can turn back the clock for Stephen, we are determined to fight for justice for him and other workers in the South West who are the innocent victims of poor workplace health and safety.”