0370 1500 100

West Midlands Family Suffer Holiday “Nightmare” In Bulgaria

Illness At Riu Helios Bay Hotel


A family from Solihull are considering legal action after their holiday at the Riu Helios Bay Hotel in Bulgaria was ruined by illness.

The Riley family are among dozens of people who contacted Irwin Mitchell after falling ill at the hotel.

Guests reported suffering gastric illness with symptoms including diarrhoea, vomiting and stomach cramps. Some guests were seen by local doctors while others had to go to hospital. There are at least 4 confirmed cases of salmonella poisoning.

A number of complaints have been made about health and hygiene standards at the hotel, including undercooked chicken being served, cold food not kept chilled, guests touching food with their bare hands, broken crockery and food spillages not being cleaned up.

Anita Riley, husband John and children Jack and Megan were at the hotel on an all-inclusive holiday. Within days Anita, John and Jack were struck down with gastric illness and Anita was later diagnosed with salmonella food poisoning.

Anita said: "Only Megan managed to escape illness and she couldn’t go anywhere or enjoy her holiday because the rest of us were all confined to our room with stomach cramps and diarrhoea. The holiday was a complete nightmare and we were all so thankful to come home."

We are currently acting in compensation claims for tourists who stayed at the Riu Helios Bay Hotel in 2006 and suffered similar problems.