0370 1500 100

Students Taken to Hospital after Exposure to Chemicals

Chemical Exposure


Exposure to chemicals at a school in Wiltshire has left two students hospitalised and 90 others in need of treatment.

The students at Ridgeway School in Wroughton were affected by what was believed to be the release of sulphur dioxide gas following a chemical incident.

Two doctors and a nurse were sent to the school where affected pupils received treatment after it appears a science experiment went wrong.

Exposure to sulphur dioxide is known to affect the eyes, lungs and throat.

Sallie Booth from law firm Irwin Mitchell said: "This is obviously a major incident. The cause of it will need to be quickly identified as it may affect the way in which science experiments are conducted in schools in the future, and/or the way in which such experiments are supervised."