Doncaster Woman Instructs Lawyers To Help Establish Answers After Husband Died Two Months After Falling Ill
A wife whose husband died after contracting salmonella linked to duck eggs has revealed how she hopes an upcoming inquest will help provide answers.
Niptoon Tavakoli, of Lindholme, Doncaster, died in hospital two months after falling ill complaining of sickness and diarrhoea.
The 65-year-old had eaten duck eggs he bought from Messingham Show in North Lincolnshire five days before he became ill.
Wife asks lawyers to help establish answers
Following his death Niptoon’s wife, Cheryl aged 63, instructed expert lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to help investigate and support the family through an inquest. Niptoon was also a stepfather to Andrew and Paul.
Approaching three years on from his death an inquest is now due to be held.
Catherine Slattery is a specialist group actions lawyer at Irwin Mitchell representing the family.
Expert Opinion“Nearly three years on, Niptoon’s death continues to have a great impact on Cheryl and the rest of the family.
“Understandably they remain devastated by their loss and have a number of questions about the events that unfolded in the lead up to Niptoon’s death.
“The effects of salmonella should never be downplayed. It’s an incredibly dangerous illness which can cause serious health problems or in the worst cases, death.
“While it’s only right that a thorough investigation has to take place to establish all of the facts around Niptoon’s death, Cheryl now hopes that the inquest will help end her wait and establish the answers the family deserve.
“We’re determined to support the family throughout. If during the course of investigations any issues are identified, it’s vital that lessons are learned.” Catherine Slattery - Associate Solicitor
Niptoon falls ill after eating duck eggs
Niptoon worked in the catering industry and retail management for many years. He bought six ducks eggs at Messingham Show in Lincolnshire on 2 June, 2019. He later cooked and ate four of them.
Five days later an ambulance was called to his home. It was decided not to take Niptoon to hospital.
On 10 June, 2019, Niptoon was taken to hospital after paramedics were called again to his home.
Doctors found evidence of salmonella. Niptoon was admitted to intensive care. However, his condition continued to deteriorate. He died on 12 August, 2019.
Salmonella investigation launched
Public Health England launched an investigation and confirmed a second case of salmonella in the West Midlands with the same strain.
Cheryl said: “Niptoon was a wonderful person who loved his family but also hunting out antiques. He often attended antique centres or fairs and loved studying old coins and history.
“Niptoon was always smiling and happy so seeing him so poorly and being unable to help him as his condition continued to deteriorate was terrible.
“While it may be more than two years since Niptoon’s death, the hurt and pain our family continue to feel is as strong now as it was then.
“Niptoon was a very good cook and had worked in the catering industry for years. It remains difficult not to think that he was taken too soon.
“We would do anything to have Niptoon back in our lives but we know that’s not possible. All we can hope for now is that we can at least get to the bottom as to why he died and if more could have done to help him.
“We know that the inquest is going to be difficult but we hope that it will at least give us the answers we and Niptoon deserve.”
An inquest is due to start at Doncaster Coroner’s Court on Monday, 27 June, and is listed for five days.
Find out more about our expertise in handling group actions at our dedicated groups claims section. Alternatively to speak to an expert contact us or call 0370 1500 100.