Former Bricklayer Died Two Months After Mesothelioma Diagnosis
The widow of a Swindon man who died of asbestos-related cancer is appealing to his old workmates to come forward and shed light on his contact with the deadly material.
Andrew Butler, from Haydon Wick, died aged 74, just two months after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma - a cancer of the lining of the lung that is commonly linked to asbestos exposure.
Lawyers investigate Wiltshire man's asbestos exposure
Shortly before he died, Andrew and his family instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to help him gain answers regarding his illness. The former bricklayer and builder also outlined how he was confident that exposure had occurred during his working life.
Now, as Andrew’s loved ones continue with the legal case in his memory, Irwin Mitchell’s experts are seeking information regarding the conditions he would have faced while employed by Stanley Walter Ltd between 1964 and 1972 and E W Beard Ltd between 1974 and 1983.
Marking Workers' Memorial Day
The appeal is being made to mark Workers’ Memorial Day. This annual event on 28 April remembers those who have died as a result of their employment, and campaigns to improve health and safety standards in the workplace and increase protection for employees.
Alexandra Lausen is the specialist asbestos-related disease lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, representing Andrew’s widow Rose, aged 70.
Expert Opinion“Asbestos has had a huge impact across many sectors through the years, but it has played a particularly prominent role in building work. Through our work we’ve seen cases where exposure has been linked to a range of materials, from asbestos soffits and guttering to ceilings and floor tiles containing asbestos.
“Before his death, Andrew told us how he believed he had been exposed to asbestos throughout his working life. Therefore we’re keen to hear from others with more information on that front.
“While nothing can make up for the hurt and pain Rose and the rest of the family are going through, we’re determined to provide them with the answers they deserve regarding Andrew’s exposure to asbestos.” Alexandra Lausen - Solicitor
Mesothelioma: Andrew Butler's story
Andrew, a father to Stuart and Duncan, and grandfather to Cooper and Brooke, worked as a builder and bricklayer for a range of companies and councils from the 1960s onwards.
He outlined how his role involved both construction and demolition work and that he worked on a number of council house refurbishments.
Andrew started experiencing breathlessness in August last year. Following tests, he was diagnosed with mesothelioma in September and died in November.
Wife appeals for help over Swindon man's asbestos-related disease
Rose said: “It was awful to see how the mesothelioma affected Andrew. He started to feel breathless and from there everything seemed to happen so quickly. Following his diagnosis he deteriorated rapidly.
“Andrew was a wonderful husband and a loving and caring dad and granddad. He was never happier than when he was fishing, walking our dogs, staying at our caravan in Somerset and socialising with his friends at our local working men’s club.
“The impact of the cancer was horrendous. Life without Andrew just isn’t the same but I’m determined to ensure we get some answers.
“Andrew said he thought his work was the most likely way he would have been exposed to asbestos. I’d be grateful to anyone who might be able to come forward.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact Alexandra Lausen at Irwin Mitchell on 0117 926 1554 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more about our expertise in supporting people and families affected by mesothelioma at our dedicated asbestos-related disease section. Alternatively to speak to an expert contact us or call 0370 1500 100.