Details Sought On Construction Company As Wife Believes Husband Could Have Been Exposed While Working On Schools
The devastated widow of a Cumbria man who died from asbestos–related cancer is appealing to his former workmates for help in establishing how he fell ill.
Paul Jackson, from Ambleside, Cumbria, was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a terminal cancer of the lining of the lungs most commonly associated with exposure to asbestos, often decades previously.
He died aged 50.
Following Paul’s death, his wife Julie, 57, instructed asbestos-related disease experts at Irwin Mitchell to investigate her late husband’s illness and whether it could have been linked to his work history.
Ahead of Workers’ Memorial Day, Julie and her legal team are now seeking information from anyone who may have worked alongside Paul during his time with construction company M A Beaumont based in Cumbria.
Expert Opinion“The past two years have been incredibly difficult for Paul’s loved ones, in particular Julie who continues to struggle with losing her husband.
Mesothelioma is a horrible disease, the effects of which aren’t usually known for several decades after exposure to asbestos has taken place. In particular, Paul’s family have struggled to come to terms with his death at such a young age for this disease.
Sadly, Paul died before he began seeking answers about his exposure, so Julie is determined to obtain the details needed to honour his memory.
Through our work we know the use of asbestos was common in the construction industry as well as many public buildings such as schools, therefore we’d be grateful if anyone who remembers working with Paul could come forward with information on the conditions he faced. Any detail could prove vital to our investigation and provide Paul’s family with the answers and closure they deserve.”
Helen Jones - Associate Solicitor
Paul completed his apprenticeship with M A Beaumont during the mid to late 1980s. During his time with the firm he worked on the construction of schools in the area. Julie believes he may have come into contact with asbestos at that time.
He began to feel unwell in August 2019 with symptoms of a cough which was initially thought to be a chest infection. He underwent a series of tests and was subsequently diagnosed with mesothelioma in around September 2019.
Paul’s condition deteriorated and he died on 12 December, 2019.
At the time of his death, Paul and Julie had been together for around 26 years and have two children.
Julie said: “It’s been more than two years since I lost Paul but it’s still so painful and difficult to accept that he’s no longer here. He was still so young and we were looking forward to spending our retirement years together. It was devastating when our future was ripped away from us.
“Paul’s diagnosis was a huge shock to us, especially when we found it was caused by being exposed to asbestos. Sadly, he never got to find out where this could have happened, but it’s possible this was as a result of his work.
“While there’s no way I can turn back the clock, all I can do now is get the answers that Paul deserved As such, I’d be so grateful for any help from his workmates.”
Anyone with information that could assist with this case is asked to contact Helen Jones on 0191 279 0043 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Workers’ Memorial Day is held on 28 April to remember those who have died as a result of their employment, and campaigns to improve health and safety standards in the workplace and increase protection for employees.
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling asbestos-related disease cases