Information Sought On ICI Huddersfield And Central Electricity Generating Board
The widow of a West Yorkshire fitter who died after being diagnosed with an asbestos-related disease is making a heartfelt plea to his former workmates for information to help establish how he fell ill.
Steven Haythorne, from Batley, died aged 77 after being diagnosed with asbestosis. A long-term inflammation and scarring of the lungs due to breathing in asbestos fibres, the condition often develops several decades after exposure to the hazardous material.
Following his diagnosis, Steven instructed asbestos-related disease experts at Irwin Mitchell to investigate his illness and where he could have come into contact with asbestos.
Since his death, his wife Jacqueline,76, has continued the investigation alongside his legal team. An inquest concluded that Steven died as the result of an industrial disease.
As part of Global Asbestos Awareness Week, Steven’s loved ones are now seeking information from his former colleagues on the working conditions he faced. In particular, they are keen to hear from anyone who worked alongside Steven at ICI’s Huddersfield site or when he worked on Thornhill Power Station in Dewsbury while employed by the Central Electricity Generating Board.
Expert Opinion“Steven’s death is yet another reminder of the terrible legacy that the use of asbestos has left behind, and losing him has had a profound effect on Jacqueline who is struggling to come to terms with everything.
While nothing can change what has happened, we are determined to get Jacqueline the answers she needs to honour Steven’s memory.
We would therefore be grateful if anyone who worked for the two companies mentioned could come forward with any information that may help with our investigations.
Any detail, no matter how small, could prove vital.”
Lucy Andrews - Associate Solicitor
Steven was employed by ICI between 1961 and 1966, and later again between 1969 and 1993, based at its Huddersfield site on Leeds Road.
He initially worked as an apprentice fitter, before qualifying as a maintenance fitter. From 1979 onwards, he also worked as an engineering planner, engineering foreman and power station shift manager.
It is believed that he may have been exposed to asbestos when removing asbestos lagging from pipework, with colleagues undertaking the same work within the vicinity of his area. He did this for around 20 years, with some of the work carried out in the boiler houses.
Between 1966 and 1969, Steven was employed by the Central Electricity Generating Board, where he worked in the boiler houses and on generators at power stations. In particular, he worked on the Thornhill Power Station.
He first began to feel unwell in 2016 with respiratory problems. Following tests, he was diagnosed with asbestosis in 2018.
He died last April.
At the time of his death, he had been married to Jacqueline for 57 years, with two children and two grandchildren.
Jacqueline said: “Steven was such a loving husband and it’s still terribly difficult to accept him no longer being here.
“When he was diagnosed, it came as such a shock to us, and to think that his work could have been to blame is awful.
“Watching Steven deteriorate was devastating and I know that nothing will ever bring him back, but I hope that we can get the answers he sought before he died. That’s all I can do now to try and get him the justice he deserved.
“I would be so grateful if any of his former workmates could help.”
Anyone with information that may assist with this case is asked to contact Lucy Andrews on 07885 261317 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Global Asbestos Awareness Week runs from 1 to 7 April and aims to increase awareness of the dangers of asbestos and prevent exposure, including by families affected by the hazardous material telling their story.
Find out more about Irwin Mitchell's expertise in handling asbestos-related disease cases